• Register Today It's free!

1991 x 4x4 Vs. Jeep cj-8

zaomaster1988

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4X4
Ok i was helping my buddy at his shop down the road and we were working an his 1981 jeep cj-8 "Scrambler" there basicly trying to restore it and while i was under neath un bolting his exaust i started noticeing alot of bad things on his vechile. things that my 1991 explorer had advantages over his.
so i told him that i thought that my x was probably a better 4x4 vechile . and you all can probably geuss how that turned out. all jeep owners that use there jeeps for offroading are just so dam proud of themselves. he strated telling me that there was no way that my x could evan touch any of the places that his cj-8 could go. but in the end the argument was worthless because his cj-8 wont be up and running for a long time.

what do you guys think which vechile is more capable

the 1981 CJ-8 Scrambler
Amc 20 read with 2.73 gears
Dana 30 front with 2.73 gears
A Dana 300 transfer case
stock wheels and tires "smaller than mine
and about 6 inches of ground clearance
@4754 LBS
inline 6 cylinder engine and a typicle 5 speed transmission

Or the

1991 Ford Explorer XL 4x4
stock all the way around
3.73 gears 5 speed manual transmission
28" tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dana300 transfercase has a low of 2.62:1 on the CJ, while your Explorer's BW 1354 is 2.48:1. But since you have 3.73 compared to the 2.73, you have a full extra turn on the drive shaft making your final ratio a full turn lower. Out of the box, if your explorer was a sport, id say it would have the advantage. Although, i'd say its pretty damn close.

His shorter wheelbase might give him the advantage over you. If you had a sport with 3.73, manual tranny, and limited slip you'd definately have him.

With all the wheeling I've done, I've found my X, which is a sport with 3.27 gears, manual trans, 31" A/T's, 2" lift will pretty much keep up with a wrangler with the same specs all day long, I've wheeled with quite a fews guys who have them. In some instances, like pulling a rowboat containing 14 people through 8" of snow (don't ask :confused: ) through a corn field, the X is actually better because of larger mass.

That's what I've found anyways...

One crucial component is the nut behind the wheel.

Only way to find out is go on a trail ride with both stock vehicles and see who gets stuck and who doesn't. I think they are pretty much a dead even. The CJ-8 may have a solid axle but however it has smaller tires than yours a 2.73 gear ratio. There will be certain obstacles that the CJ-8 will be able to conquer cause of the solid axle and articulation related to it where a stock Explorer may get hung up on the radius arms or TTB housing.

you have a swaybar--the Jeep doesn't........advantage Jeep.

You can unhook the sway bay when off-road advantage Explorer.

You have a Ford...he has a Jeep...advantage Explorer :D :D

Those jeep guys..... :rolleyes:

They like to make so much fun of people wheeling in anything but a jeep, especially fords. The funny thing is that about half of their jeep was built using Ford parts :confused:

Blee1099 said:
Only way to find out is go on a trail ride with both stock vehicles and see who gets stuck and who doesn't.

Actually, this would be an unfail analysis of their abilities..the reason..one driver may be better than another, or more daring to try an obsticle over the other person.

The only real test would be for both of you to drive an exact line in each others vehicles...then rotate to the drivers/vehicles to the original drivers and take the same line again...though I wouldnt want to turn over my vehicle to someone else in an offroad situations, but that's the only real fair way to make a decisive 'mines better than yours' claim. :/

On that note, look how Land Rover/Range Rover compares their new vehicles to another maker. They do just that..they take out the competitions brand and run a designated line a few times to get used to the vehicles characteristics then on the last runs (usually 3) they go all out. They then take their vehicles through the same line, same test methods and procedures.

Back