1992 explorer 4x4 5speed shifter question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 explorer 4x4 5speed shifter question

Ashton_1012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer 4x4
Hey all,
I have a 1992 ford explorer 4x4, 5 speed. The shifter has always been loose, but today i had to change the clutch, slave cylinder, and fly wheel. When i took the shifter off the transmission to drop it, i found the little ball and arms it attached to. I believe it is worn out, but i dont know what its called to buy a new one. went to autozone, they were no help. Also there was a little bushing on it, with a little metal ring. That was shot, metal ring was mangled. After all the repairs i start it up and the shifter is way looser than before, sometimes hard to find a gear. I need help identifying the part!
Thank you very much,
Ashton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That thing actually bolts in. No mods?

I agree, the Hurst shifters are awesome. Bolts right in, all you have to do is adjust the shifter stops and enjoy! :dpchug:

I never knew that existed. Way cool.

you guys are awesome, thanks alot. Cant really warrant the hurst shifter, although it would be nice my rig is a beater i bought for 400$. thanks again guys!

The Hurst shifter is nice performance-wise, but has the drawback of being so rigid that more vibration makes it to the shifter, more noise makes it through the boot it comes with, and it also needs to be rebuilt every so often, which isn't cheap, plus the shipping back and forth to and from Hurst.

Good if you actually really need it or have the money to blow, otherwise replacing the bushings every so often is a much less expensive option.

Yea like I said pricey but so nice..not for the average guy for sure but hey if you wanna play you gotta pay!!;)

O and I haven't really seen any complaints about it..that's the first bad comments i've seen

It's not a complaint and I'm not saying it's BAD...just the way that Hurst went about making a "short shifter" for the Mazda trans wound up with it being like this.

I was really interested in getting one, until I read the stuff about having to use a spacer to make it fit applications where the shifter shaft is shorter, and then when I read about the rebuilding requirements and that you have to pay for the shipping and rebuilding over and over. It just seems like too much for anything but a show or go rig that already has lots of money dumped into it.

It's GREAT if you have a modded rig and want the shifter to top it off. Better they made one than if they didn't.

I've always wanted one, but reading about having to rebuild the shifter, I will pass. You would think dropping that much on a shifter it would be good to go and just leave it alone.

Where are you all reading this?? I have never seen anything like this.as far as I've heard it is a good to go type of thing.guess I need to search or something. ..links to all these problems would be nice..

Hurst has the details about the shifter and the rebuild program on the site:

http://hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=131&pn=3915020&mk=&yr=&md=&sm=&e=

http://hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=220

They now apparently use a third-party rebuilder, years ago when I first checked it out they rebuilt them in-house. It's $95 to rebuild the Billet Plus shifter, $10.50 UPS Ground shipping, and an additional $75 to re-chrome the stick (why they're chroming it if it's billet aluminum is another thing). Takes a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for rebuild service.

Just seems too much hassle for too much money for me. I'd rather just have a solid shorter shifter, but to reduce the throw they went for a pivot mechanism instead. Obviously the pivot mechanism is what wears out and needs to be rebuilt every so often.

Hurst has the details about the shifter and the rebuild program on the site:

http://hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=131&pn=3915020&mk=&yr=&md=&sm=&e=

http://hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=220

They now apparently use a third-party rebuilder, years ago when I first checked it out they rebuilt them in-house. It's $95 to rebuild the Billet Plus shifter, $10.50 UPS Ground shipping, and an additional $75 to re-chrome the stick (why they're chroming it if it's billet aluminum is another thing). Takes a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for rebuild service.

Just seems too much hassle for too much money for me. I'd rather just have a solid shorter shifter, but to reduce the throw they went for a pivot mechanism instead. Obviously the pivot mechanism is what wears out and needs to be rebuilt every so often.
Don't all shifters have a pivot point somewhere? They just put it in a different spot over stock to reduce the throw.as with any shifter I would think they wear out, when and how long I guess is the question:(I've been all over rps where a lot of people use them and can't find anything on this topic, definitely concerns me tho.

I do know I've driven tractor trailers with shorter throws than my ranger:(

All shifters have a pivot point, but while a usual "short shifter" reduces the throw length by shortening the length of the shifter and sometimes modifying the shaft going into the transmission and/or minor modification to the pivot, this particular Hurst design uses an entire pivot mechanism that effectively only reduces the throw of the shifter, while the mechanism is more or less an adapter that translates the now shorter throw into moving the internal shaft the stock amount in order to shift properly.

I would guess that this is the only way certain transmissions like the M5OD and M5ODR1 can be made to have a shorter throw. They can't use an actual short shifter, so the pivot mechanism gives a shorter throw on the stick while making the the throw on the shaft inside the trans the same as if it were a stock shifter.

Back