1992 Ford Explorer won't start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer won't start

A new record.... for hijacking ! (Calling Homeland Security)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glacier991 said:
A new record.... for hijacking ! (Calling Homeland Security)

Can low-posters not post new 911 threads? Why so many hijacks?
Or is it just <gasp> good use of the search function??? That would amaze me :)

Hey I was wondering if you might be able to help me with a problem im having with my explorer

How do you check pressure at fuel trail..I'll just ask here seems it's a hijacked thread. Have 94 explorer just changed water Pump and drained battery. Tried jumping it wouldn't start, barely turned over. Charged battery it Turns over fine now just won't start.i pump gas pedal but don't smell gas..i hear relay when i turn key over.help!!!

Need guidance for my 91 explorer!

I was doing some reading on possible ways to fix my problem that I believe is with the fuel system and it says I should check the pressure via the schrader valve. I searched through pages of pictures looking for a familiar image of the 91 explorer but none of them looked the same. If anyone reads this please reply with pics up close and from the full view of where this valve is located on the 1991 ford explorer xlt 4.0 v6. It has been down long enough and I would like to have it back on the road!!!

For some reason I can't start my own thread. Looking for some help, badly.
Hope it's not bad form to jump in on this "won't start" thread. Mine "won't start" either.

Got a 1995 explorer 4x4, stock no aftermarket stuff.

So yesterday I was out on the beach. There's spot that's accessible only at low tide. Not really offroading, it's all paved with crushed shells- but at one place the creek comes up on the road when the tide rolls in. I cross no problem, but lingered too long and misjudged the tide coming back and hit way more cold salt water than expected.

She stalled and died. I believe the check engine light flashed three times. I wasn't into THAT much water- maybe 8 inches and sunk in another 4 inches or so-but this puddle is only about 10 feet across. Point being- I was by no means submerged. I could open the doors.

So we towed her out. Won't start. Dash lights up- plenty of battery but we jumped it anyway. Nothing. I figure starter and resolve to let it dry out.

I hit the starter with a hairdrier. Everything looks good (not covered in muck or anything). It dries for a day. As of now, still won't start

Everything points to starter being ruined. I hear the cylinoid click, fuel pump kick on- I don't think the water was ever anywhere near the plugs.

So here's the question- is it very likely that I killed the starter? This seems to be the consensus among my friends- except one guy who says I killed the computer or fried something so that computer won't let it turn over. Can anybody give me a reason not to try replacing the starter first? If that doesn't work- any other ideas?

Thanks much!!!
-James

I have a 92 Ford Explorer that I am having a problem with
starting all of a sudden. I bought it last week, and there were no
problems the first few days. I bought one of those battery solar panels
to keep the battery charged, and plugged it in via the cigarette
lighter. The instructions say that it won't drain the battery, but I
don't think I believe them anymore - as of yesterday the battery is
simply fried, it seems. The battery is almost seven years old (warranty
ran out after 6yrs).

I have a 92 Ford Explorer that I am having a problem with
starting all of a sudden. I bought it last week, and there were no
problems the first few days. I bought one of those battery solar panels
to keep the battery charged, and plugged it in via the cigarette
lighter. The instructions say that it won't drain the battery, but I
don't think I believe them anymore - as of yesterday the battery is
simply fried, it seems. The battery is almost seven years old (warranty
ran out after 6yrs).

Um, get a new battery?

Yet another hijack!
96 ranger xlt - cranks, no start, no fuel pump sounds BUT will start fine if we jump it (sorry, I'm helping a friend without internet - rerouting wires?)
- starter fine, relays fine, fuel pump fine, fuel shut off seems fine
- will not start by just using starter fluid
- have done searches and I'm leaning to wiring problems

Any other suggestions?

My 1995 Explorer stutters when I try to start and i found out that if I just turn the ignition switch four times without cranking the engine and them try to start at the fifth or the sixth time, it will start without stuttering. I already replaced the IAC sensor but it did not help. what do you recommend?

I have no personal expertise, but other threads suggest it's likely the fuel pump is not holding pressure when the truck is not running. By turning the key several times, you're turning on the fuel pump and refilling and pressurizing the fuel line. The fix is a new fuel pump. But don't rely solely on my word.

Antonio: You say start but no detail on how it runs etc, I'm with your 1st reply, but it's hard to say. e.g., is there pressure maintained at the schrader valve on the fuel rail, do you have a leak in the fuel system, if it's the fuel pump it will start with your method, but not run well.

I just join this group. And I havin serious issues. 98 ford ranger. Bad alternator symptoms.... I changed alternator an doin same thing. If I jump it it'll sit an run all day but drained battery an won't crank.

I'm thinking it a relay r something. But not sure

Back