1992 Ford Explorer won't start

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer (170,000 miles) and it just died on me. I went to see my grandmother and when I came out the truck wouldn't start (a couple days before the truck cranked over so slowly I didnt think it was going to start). What I know:

-battery is less than a year old
-original alternator
-checked battery connections
-fan blower works
-I can hear the fuel pump kick on
-when I turn the key...I hear nothing happen but the fuel pump kick on
-tranny was rebuilt last year (not that it matters)

Please give me any ideas because I was about to sell this truck due to buying a 2002 F150. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should also here a "CLICK" comming from the passenger side fender well when you try to start you engine. (starter relay) If that clicks, but still will not turn over then probably the starter.

I was hoping someone would say the starter! I do have the click you described. Thanks.

Sounds like a starter issue, or wiring to the starter. How old is the starter? When a starter gets old it can start having no start issues. I would take hammer and gently tap the starter (tap not whack the crap out of).. This can slightly jar the elecrical contacts into better contact (much like repositioning jumper cables to get better flow)

What is the terminal voltage at the battery and what does it drop too when the engine is turning over? If the terminal voltage is at 9.5 VDC when cranking the engine over the battery is dead & or shot. Trade out the battery with a known good battery & or try a jump-start. Many batteries fail in the first year, I hope you have a warrantee. Oh, checking the battery is easier than changing the starter.

Changed the starter and all is well....Thanks guys.

One tip for you - on my '94 Ranger, I went through three starters in three years, because my cable from the solenoid to the starter was so FUBAR'ed it was causing the starter motor to work overtime with reduced current. You may want to replace some or all of your battery cables if yours aren't in decent shape.

Help!

For some reason I can't start my own thread. Looking for some help, badly.
Hope it's not bad form to jump in on this "won't start" thread. Mine "won't start" either.

Got a 1995 explorer 4x4, stock no aftermarket stuff.

So yesterday I was out on the beach. There's spot that's accessible only at low tide. Not really offroading, it's all paved with crushed shells- but at one place the creek comes up on the road when the tide rolls in. I cross no problem, but lingered too long and misjudged the tide coming back and hit way more cold salt water than expected.

She stalled and died. I believe the check engine light flashed three times. I wasn't into THAT much water- maybe 8 inches and sunk in another 4 inches or so-but this puddle is only about 10 feet across. Point being- I was by no means submerged. I could open the doors.

So we towed her out. Won't start. Dash lights up- plenty of battery but we jumped it anyway. Nothing. I figure starter and resolve to let it dry out.

I hit the starter with a hairdrier. Everything looks good (not covered in muck or anything). It dries for a day. As of now, still won't start

Everything points to starter being ruined. I hear the cylinoid click, fuel pump kick on- I don't think the water was ever anywhere near the plugs.

So here's the question- is it very likely that I killed the starter? This seems to be the consensus among my friends- except one guy who says I killed the computer or fried something so that computer won't let it turn over. Can anybody give me a reason not to try replacing the starter first? If that doesn't work- any other ideas?

Thanks much!!!
-James

Have you tried jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid? Usualy a screwdriver workes and expect some arking.

You can also test the starter directly.
Big terminal POSITIVE, then just ground the case to the NEGITIVE.

same thing happened to me

where is that starter so that i might whack it with a hammer? ;) i looked but coiuldnt see it last night when my '93 failed to start but merely clicked.

thanks

§

Driver's side... easiest reached by laying down being the driver's wheel... don't beat the start, just tap it a little to jar it back into making good contact..

i *think* its my starter

ok, i cant post a new thread either so here we are. My 93 is sitting in a kroger parking lot about a mile from my house. Everything lights up, i tried to jump start her the night she died to no avail. I've taped the starter to no avail. I can have her towed to a shop for a new starter but im wondering if there is a way i can test to make sure its that starter before i throw some money at a shop to replace it. I hear the (im assuming) fuel pump start up and then a loud click, then nothing.
also, is the starter an easy replacement i.e could i replace it in a parking lot by myself or with limited help? I have little experience working on cars, but am technically minded.

thanks

§

You should have enough room under the explorer to change out the starter in a parking lot.. nothing really hard, just remove the old and reinstall the new. BTW as mentioned the starter wires are prone to internal corrosion due to their location.. As such they may appear fine from the outside, but are corroded inside... When the corrosion is bad enough it will prevent the necessary power from reaching the solenoid on the starter. A solenoid is nothing more than a high powered relay or switch and if it doesn't get enought power it won't get triggered to engage the starter... Any way you could try wiggling the wires around which could make better contact and get the starter going..

bleh, if you decide to change the starter make sure you disconnect the battery before you start. Disconnecting the negative/ground wire first is the safest way to start. That is because if while disconnecting the ground your wrench touches the frame nothing will happen.

test the starter to see if its working, it definately sounds like its fried though, and the cables may well be too.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread as well.

My 94 Explorer XL 2wd, w/ 65000 miles on it will not start. When I turn the key, the solenoid and the starter make loud, rapid clicking noises but the engine does not crank at all.

I tried charging the battery and then I pulled both the solenoid and starter and had them checked at a local high school shop and both were fine (not sure if a pro could check better).

I read that I should try to turn the flywheel but couldn't budge it. I also noticed small pits out of the front of the flywheel teeth, about the size of sand grains, and found tiny bits of metal in the bottom of the casing when I wiped it with my finger. The damage to the teeth looked minimal and saw no broken teeth on the flywheel nor on the bottom of the casing.

In the past, I had a problem with mice chewing on wires but the wires between the solenoid and starter are intact.

What else can I check myself and at what point should I take it to a pro? I've read some horror stories about a pro pulling and replacing all sorts of things without fixing the problem (starter/flywheel/etc) and don't want to have to pay for more work than I have to. Thanks for the help!

If your battery and starter check out fine then I would expect to find the wire from the solinoid to the starter bad or a bad ground somewhere.

Sorry to re high jackthis thread
The explorer works well, but for the past few months its been having trouble starting in the morning. It starts good in the afternoon (sometimes), it started after the fuel filter was changed after it went dead. It was taken to the shop and spark plugs and cables were change, because that was thought to be the cause, it stop like after a day, and then it started doing it agan(not starting in the morning). It sits for about 12 hours every night.

The starter was change a while ago but the tech said that wasnt the cause when he hooked it up to the computer.

The battery is ok.

There are no dead fuses under the hood, i am at a lost.

To get the car started you have to turn the ignition and then after its tryna crank over stop real quick and then the engine would catch after a few times.

It starts right up in the afternoon.

Any clues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear the fuel pump kick in for a fwe seconds? If that is OK check the fuel presure at the fuel rail the fuel regulator may be failing.

Back