1993 Electrical Start/Acc Problem

ManixT

Reaction score
City, State
Guilderland, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
1993 Ignition Switch Power Problem

I'm in the middle of installing a remote starter in my 93 explorer and have run into several issues and at this point they're not even related to the remote starter itself.

The car does not get power to blinkers, wipers, fuel pump, or starter (basically no typical turning-key-forward in ignition actions). I've tested the ignition switch and it has proper continuity in ACC, run, and start. I've checked all fuses and doides in the cab and engine compartment (I didn't test the relays because I wasn't sure how) and they're all fine. I didn't notice any burn marks on any wiring in the area and I also don't see any wiring harnesses that are disconnected. My headlights, hi-beams, dome lights, brake lights, door locks, and hazards do work. The battery reports 12.31v when the neg terminal is disconnected, so the battery seems alright too.

However, when I tested the voltages to the 9 wires that run into the ignition switch harness, none of them reported any voltage when the ignition switch was in the proper position (or any position for that matter). No voltage is even coming in through the battery connection to the ignition switch harness. What comes between the + battery terminal and the battery wire to the ignition switch harness?

I should also mention that at one point near finishing the remote starter install I saw sparks fly from the wiring (didn't see what from exactly) near the middle-bottom of the dash closer to the driver's side. So I think something blew up, although I'm having one hell of a time figuring out exactly what so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
//
I just replaced the starter solnoid relay, that didn't help.
Also tried swaping EEC Relay with A/C relay, didn't help either.
//
I'm not sure of what else to test. Does anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would tapping into the constant +12v from another source be a bad idea?

I just looked at a wiring diagram and it looks like your problem is in between the starter solenoid and the power distribution box or fuse #1 in the power distribution box. Get a good test light and look for power in the distribution box. If you find power there then your going to have to look at specific fuses or broken wires. It's helpfull to go to the public library and photocopy the wiring diagram for your car, avoid those goddamn autozone manuals they are missing critical information and will lead you down the wrong path.

Hi Everybody,
I just joined and so far, this is outstanding.
Good call Omegaman2. Also, ManixT, check and make sure the fuses and relays are actually making contact at the tabs where they plug in. Any blade type fuse or relay that hasn`t been moved in a long time can build up corrosion, and all of a sudden, NOTHING. Since you had an "event" with the sparks flying, there was some extra load flowing through your system. That is a good time for the "all of a sudden NOTHING" syndrome. Just an idea that might help. It can easily be forgotten and overlooked.
I am disabled now, but I used to be an award winning mechanic, and race mechanic. If I can be any help, I`ll try to get on here every day. SEEYA

How about the Neutral Safety Switch? That OPEN will cause same affect.

Back