1993 Ford Explorer ‘Eddie bauer’ Small fixes questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer ‘Eddie bauer’ Small fixes questions

Scorpius68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Few questions on items I’m having issues with.

1. Front lights on the side (amber) are burned out, manual says remove top two screws and pull out the trim. It does not pull out. Am i missing something? I can’t seem to find where else it may be connected.

2. Instrument panel. I find nothing that is explorer specific on getting this bad boy out. I removed the trim around it, removed the lower trim, then removed 4 bolts from the panel. Doesn’t budge more than about 1/4 inch. Surely I’m missing something else. About half are burnt out and I’d really like to get to them.

3. Fog lights on the lower trim. Where is the switch for these or do they simply always turn on with the headlights? There are just two wires from the lights themselves and nothing more, i suppose someone pulled out that wiring so i may need to run a power and ground somewhere into a fuse box would be my guess.

4. When the rear is opened, is there no lighting that should turn on? Noticed it tonight pitch dark, opened and no lighting turned on. Didn’t readily see any switch to check. Only light i see is the internal dome light!

Any help on these would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will share what little I know lol

1. When I did mine, I came across the same thing. Was tough to remove the trim around the lights. There are 2 little clips on the bottom side, if you shine a small flashlight in there you can see them. I used a plastic pry bar and steady pressure to carefully dislodge the clips and slide the trim forward and out. It kinda swings out to the outboard side as well
4. There should be a light at the rear cargo area that comes on with the dome light. Maybe the bulb is just burned out?

I have no idea on the other 2 questions, sorry

If you're talking about the corner lights at the headlights, they are decoration only and were never wired for lights in the US model. The only bulbs are in the turn signal housing below the headlight. They can be a pain to remove because of the afore mentioned clips.

The instrument panel can be interesting. You will need to get a little mean with it. Pull it out enough to get your hand behind it. You're pulling against the speedo cable. You will need to disconnect two large wiring connectors that are tough to remove and the speedo cable connector. It has two tabs you push together to release it. It's not fun and you'll probably end up with cuts on you hands from the dash.

The factory fog light switch should be below the rear wiper switch on the bottom left of the dash. If you truck doesn't have this, chances are someone added them aftermarket or replaced the dash panel. Fog lights weren't as common then and most explorers don't have them unless they we're optioned with the electrics package or the limited trim.

As far as the dome light, I'm pretty sure the switch is built into the drivers side latch in the tailgate. Pull the interior panel and follow the wiring. You'll need to check for voltage there anyway.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Got most of these done. (Read down still have a question :)

1. Front lights on the side (amber). - used some spray to oil it up, broke 2 of three metal clips pulling it out. What I learned. Somehow your supposed to unclip them from the light housing with a screwdriver. Stupid design. Got the burned bulb replaced! And it’s good with only 1 clip.

2. Instrument panel. Good news. Got all burned out bulbs replaced! Wow what a pain. For future explorers.
Remove trim
Remove 4 screws from instrument panel
Remove 2 screws from drive position indicator and drop it down
Under car remove speedo cable from any clips and push all slack up toward dash or have someone pull instrument panel while you provide any slack.
Next wish you had baby hands. You can now get to all lights pulling it left or right as needed. My only regret and hopefully not an issue anytime soon, if you’re replacing one....replace all :)

3. Fog lights on the lower trim. - since this is Eddie Bauer version pretty sure these were stock and didn’t have a switch so perhaps just came on with lights?
Anyhow wired both lights to nearest ground on each side
Wired both positives together then split that off to a relay.
Ran hot side of relay to starter switch that’s always hot - threw in an in-line 10a fuse here)
Ran relay to ground
Cut free spot under rear wiper switch and put in a new switch, ran sw to ground, another to the nearby fuse box to a 10 a fuse position. (Thinking of going back and splicing in a 3amp fuse here)
Then ran sw load to relay
Works perfectly.

4. Rear hatch light works. Only issue I see is that it doesn’t work with the hatch door.
Is there a switch in that locking mechanism making you replace that whole mechanical assembly? Anyone got pictures of this switch or links to parts?
Thanks!

the switch should be here-

thumbnail_20190406_092928.jpg

sweet. I used that spot and put in an amber switch from the local auto parts place. didn't see any oem fog switches in my search online. perhaps one day i'll trek to the junkyard and see if any exists.

the switch should be here-

View attachment 169103

So tell me. I notice that for the defrost it glows green at night when the lights are on. however the switch right below it for the rear wiper doesn't glow at all. Does yours?
if so wonder if that means you can service that part with a new light or have to get an entire new switch.

Speaking of switches.....love the look of the factor fog light, any ideas where I can source one? maybe i'm searching wrong. Tried ebay and rock auto. nada.

So tell me. I notice that for the defrost it glows green at night when the lights are on. however the switch right below it for the rear wiper doesn't glow at all. Does yours?
if so wonder if that means you can service that part with a new light or have to get an entire new switch.

Speaking of switches.....love the look of the factor fog light, any ideas where I can source one? maybe i'm searching wrong. Tried ebay and rock auto. nada.

Good luck. Unless you find a limited in the junkyard or luck out with one from another Ford from the same era, you'll be searching for a while. Green Sales in Cincinnati could get you a part number and they might have one in their inventory. Also if you're into a factory look, a quick search can lead you to the correct valance panel with the proper cutouts for the lights. Those seem to be all over the place.

Factory fog lights were rare back then. I have an Eddie Bauer with the electric equipment package and it still didn't come with them. The harness connectors are there, but no switch, no lights, brackets or otherwise.

Back