1993 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4 Not Engaging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4 Not Engaging

Liam Moonan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I am new to this site so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum. I just purchased a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT (6cyl 4.0L automatic transmission) for $400 for my first car:) and recently discovered the four wheel drive will not work. it is a touch to engage electronic transfer case. My dad and I tested the transfer case shift module (the one in the trunk near the jack) by unplugging the two wires and turning the ignition to "on" (without starting the engine) and light did not blink 4 times (like I read on another forum it should). So now I am looking for a new module but I cannot seem to find one online that looks like the one have. but before I go any further, I would like to know that we tested it the right way, and was also wondering if there was a way to fix the module (and if you can't, id like to know where to find one.)

Thanks in advance,
-Liam

Hi, I am new to this site so please forgive me if I am in the wrong forum. I just purchased a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT (6cyl 4.0L automatic transmission) for $400 for my first car:) and recently discovered the four wheel drive will not work. it is a touch to engage electronic transfer case. My dad and I tested the transfer case shift module (the one in the trunk near the jack) by unplugging the two wires and turning the ignition to "on" (without starting the engine) and light did not blink 4 times (like I read on another forum it should). So now I am looking for a new module but I cannot seem to find one online that looks like the one have. but before I go any further, I would like to know that we tested it the right way, and was also wondering if there was a way to fix the module (and if you can't, id like to know where to find one.)

Thanks in advance,
-Liam
I bet the teeth are broken off in the front tires that engage 4x4.

Back