1993 Ranger XLT 3.0 Grinding in Reverse, Hard to Shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Ranger XLT 3.0 Grinding in Reverse, Hard to Shift

googs185

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Ranger XLT
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 4x4 manual transmission that I bought about a month or so ago. It has 138,000 original miles and it was one owner. Recently, the truck has been grinding when I shift into reverse, even with the clutch all the way depressed. This doesn't happen every single time, but it happens often. Also, sometimes while I am driving, it becomes very hard to shift into any of the gears and I have to push really hard, but it doesn't happen with every shift. It recently has been getting worse, but will get easier and harder randomly as I drive. What could be the problem here? Synchros? Double clutching doesn't help. Also, it doesn't seem like the clutch is slipping. Has anyone had a similar experience? Help! Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first thing is to check the fluid level in the reservoir. It's between the brake booster and the fender. Small white thing with a hose coming off it. There's a black diaphragm that comes out to add fluid.

Other than that, next time it's being difficult stab the clutch pedal rapidly 2 or 3 times and see if that helps. That's a momentary fix to get you going and home.

It's not uncommon for these to develop a slow leak in the slave cylinder. You can tell when it's getting low on fluid by the symptoms you describe. This can go on for years. And it'll be worse in cold weather. I carried a small bottle of brake fluid around because the proper fix is to pull the tranny and replace the slave cly

Hope this helps

Shaggymane, thanks for the information! I tried your suggestion and hitting the clutch really fast about 5 times makes it shift easily. So you're saying that the grinding that results when I try to shift without pumping the clutch is because the slave cylinder is leaking? Is it worth fixing, or should I just keep adding fluid if that is the problem? And how long do I have before the clutch goes if I drive it and pump the clutch when it starts to get hard to shift? Thanks for all the help!

You will have to replace the leaking slave cylinder eventually, it will completely blowout at some point.

Any idea how much that will run me? I normally do all my own repairs but i don't have a transmission jack

Any idea how much that will run me? I normally do all my own repairs but i don't have a transmission jack

Mine leaked for years till the throwout bearing seized up and came apart. Don't know if the leak caused the bearing failure.

The slave cylinders run a consistent 65$. I bought a Perfection but had to modify my bell-housing a bit in order to use their new and improved clip. Used the side of a drill bit to remove the lip on the rear side of access hole.

You might consider buying a Harbor freight tranny jack for the job then selling it on Craigs list when you're done. they also sell a tranny adapter for a floor jack. Never used one.

Or rent one.

Just as a precaution I would also check and possibly add tranny oil to it. It only takes 3 quarts for a complete change and it uses MERCRON V.. nothing else. From what I've heard these tranny's are very sensitive to low oil and the wrong kind of oil..

Just as a precaution I would also check and possibly add tranny oil to it. It only takes 3 quarts for a complete change and it used MERCRON V.. nothing else. From what I've heard these tranny's are very sensitive to low oil and the wrong kind of oil..

So where did that ATF requirement come from? I've seen it before and it's even posted over at the ranger station.

My 91 Navajo owners manual and Chilton for the same vehicle list 80-90w GL4 or 5.

the lube that come in mine was Neither atf or 80-90. I changed it back and it's much quieter now

I'm not sure when they started putting Mercron V in the manuals but I talked to a couple different dealers about it and thats what they said. I have a 99 ranger. I know thats what was in it when i changed it too cause it had a red tint. When I drained mine with 76k on it, the oil was milky white with a brownish tint.. It needed changed.

Googs,,I think you will find that your problem is that the pilot bearing is starting to disintagrate causing it to hang up on the transmission shaft so it keeps turning and causing the reverse grind. Try starting the engine with the trans in gear( with the clutch depressed of course) as this will keep the shaft from turning. while you shft to the desired gear.If the pilot is bad dont wait to long to fix it or you could damage the input shaft and front bearing in your trans.. Elbow

I've been trying to look for the reservior to check on the transmission fluid. Where is it? Shaggy said it was between the brake booster and the fender. Is that under the hood or under the truck? Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I believe you are refering to the clutch fluid which is located right next to your brake booster and toward the fender .just unscrew the cap and check the fluid level in the resivoir. they call it clutch fluid but its just brake fluid. make sure the rubber seal comes off with the cap. the fluid level in the resivoire is about half full-- The trans fluid is checked by removal of the filler plug on the left side of your transmission, The fluid level there should be with in a 1/2" of the bottom of the plug. that fluid is probably A.T.F--Elbow

Adding some clutch fluid seemed to help a little bit but its still hard to shift. If it is the pilot bearing, how much will that be to fix?

Unless the clutch is fairly new , just figure on installing a new clutch as the labor will be the same except for machining the flywheel.the pilot bearing is usually included in a clutch kit. because the job is so labor intensive,, dont even consider replacing the pilot only,Also a good idea to replace the slave cylinder Elbow:)

good info on this topic, needed some clarification, have a 99 ur explorer, had manual tranny rebuild work done to it, now it grinds sometimes in 1st n 2nd gear, and 4th gear, picked the vehicle up cheap, thought to just take my time chewing thru the labour of the repair, 1st step in the shed, did that today, then ford explorations was second, if anyone has pointers on this what mine is doing please reply my post, any help is much appreciated, but looking like i will replace all mentioned above, hopefully not too costly, hope to hear back soon cheers. oh forgot to add, driving slow in first de accellerating almost to its first and second gear limit, it shudders the driveline, any clues on that would be most helpful too, hope its all because of the above mentioned cluch system and bearing etc, please post back or email me lightshift1976@gmail.com cheers, and thnx in advance.:salute:

Back