• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Vacum Problem

sdoo500

Reaction score
City, State
southern mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 eddie v8
Im interested in a 1994 explorer xlt. its a 5 speed v6 4x4 leather and everything. the car has 93k. im looking into it as a winter car the guy wants 800 dollars and the car is supposed to be in very good shape. he says that the vacum system that controls 4x4 is broken so 4 wheel drive does not work. just wondering how much you guys think this would cost to fix or if its something that can be done by myself thanks here is the link to the add

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/2085841117.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based off what the guy says, he obviously doesn't know much about the vehicle he's selling......

There is no vacuum 4x4 system on our trucks. A rare few had a manual shift transfer case, but 98% of them have a push button electronic transfer case. There are two common reasons why the 4x4 system doesn't work on the first gens.

1) Transfer case won't shift: This is caused by a little plastic piece inside the transfer case shift motor breaking. It's an easy fix if you're even slightly mechanically inclined.
2) Automatic Locking Hubs (Autohubs): These are crap, flat out, no other way to describe them. You'll know if an Explorer has autohubs because the front hubs have a sticker that says "4x4" on them. You can replace the hubs, but we're talking on the order of $400 - $600 to do it and they're still junk.

Of course, there are other components that can cause the 4x4 system to not work, but by far those two are the most frequent. Easy way to check is to simply push the 4x4 button on the dash. If the LED next to the button comes on and a light on the dash lights up and displays "4x4", then chances are the shift motor is OK. If it still doesn't have 4WD, then the autohubs are most likely toast. Some Explorers and early 90's Rangers came from the factory with manual locking hubs made by Warn - they're 1000x better than the autohubs. Some junkyard searching can usually net you some manual hubs fairly cheap - I got a pair off another Explorer for $30 in good condition. If you decide to go aftermarket, Warn and Mile Marker are about the only options. Mile Marker is about $100 cheaper than Warn, but the quality isn't as good...but Mile Marker is still a good product overall.
You'll also need a spindle nut conversion kit, which can be found for as little as $15 per side, so you'll need two kits (one per front wheel). Neither fix is overly complicated....maybe an hour or two on a Saturday at most.

EDIT:
OK, I actually read the ad...he says the autohubs were replaced last year. That's nice, they're still (and always will be) junk. However, chances are that it's not the hubs which leaves us with the shift motor bushing as the likely culprit. There is a very detailed write-up with pictures in this forum that gives you a step by step guide on how to fix your shift motor. You might need to spend about 25 cents on a tiny piece of vacuum hose to fix the bushing and about an hour of your time - it's really easy.

Overall, the truck looks like it's in pretty good condition and $800 is a good deal. One thing I'd like to point out is that since it's an automatic, that means it has the A4LD transmission. The A4LD is VERY temperamental and is prone to breaking down if you look at it funny. OK, well maybe not that bad, but if you don't baby the transmission then there's a good chance that it will crap out on you. Could be that there is already something wrong with it and that's why he's trying to sell it. Do a search for "A4LD" on these forums and you will see page after page after page of problems with them. I personally think that the A4LD wasn't really designed to be on these trucks...maybe a 4 cylinder Ranger, but not these.

Regardless, there's a wealth of information and resources available here to help you out if you do decide to buy it.

What Iron Weasel said.

This guy must have some knowledge of the ridiculous Chevy Blazer ;Electric switch to Vacuum Switch to Cable pulling Diaghram setup.

The A4LD transmission is teh cousin of the Pinto Transmission. They stuffed a lockup system in it... no they were never designed to handle the weight of the 'X'

Based off what the guy says, he obviously doesn't know much about the vehicle he's selling......

There is no vacuum 4x4 system on our trucks. A rare few had a manual shift transfer case, but 98% of them have a push button electronic transfer case. There are two common reasons why the 4x4 system doesn't work on the first gens.

1) Transfer case won't shift: This is caused by a little plastic piece inside the transfer case shift motor breaking. It's an easy fix if you're even slightly mechanically inclined.
2) Automatic Locking Hubs (Autohubs): These are crap, flat out, no other way to describe them. You'll know if an Explorer has autohubs because the front hubs have a sticker that says "4x4" on them. You can replace the hubs, but we're talking on the order of $400 - $600 to do it and they're still junk.

Of course, there are other components that can cause the 4x4 system to not work, but by far those two are the most frequent. Easy way to check is to simply push the 4x4 button on the dash. If the LED next to the button comes on and a light on the dash lights up and displays "4x4", then chances are the shift motor is OK. If it still doesn't have 4WD, then the autohubs are most likely toast. Some Explorers and early 90's Rangers came from the factory with manual locking hubs made by Warn - they're 1000x better than the autohubs. Some junkyard searching can usually net you some manual hubs fairly cheap - I got a pair off another Explorer for $30 in good condition. If you decide to go aftermarket, Warn and Mile Marker are about the only options. Mile Marker is about $100 cheaper than Warn, but the quality isn't as good...but Mile Marker is still a good product overall.
You'll also need a spindle nut conversion kit, which can be found for as little as $15 per side, so you'll need two kits (one per front wheel). Neither fix is overly complicated....maybe an hour or two on a Saturday at most.

EDIT:
OK, I actually read the ad...he says the autohubs were replaced last year. That's nice, they're still (and always will be) junk. However, chances are that it's not the hubs which leaves us with the shift motor bushing as the likely culprit. There is a very detailed write-up with pictures in this forum that gives you a step by step guide on how to fix your shift motor. You might need to spend about 25 cents on a tiny piece of vacuum hose to fix the bushing and about an hour of your time - it's really easy.

Overall, the truck looks like it's in pretty good condition and $800 is a good deal. One thing I'd like to point out is that since it's an automatic, that means it has the A4LD transmission. The A4LD is VERY temperamental and is prone to breaking down if you look at it funny. OK, well maybe not that bad, but if you don't baby the transmission then there's a good chance that it will crap out on you. Could be that there is already something wrong with it and that's why he's trying to sell it. Do a search for "A4LD" on these forums and you will see page after page after page of problems with them. I personally think that the A4LD wasn't really designed to be on these trucks...maybe a 4 cylinder Ranger, but not these.

Regardless, there's a wealth of information and resources available here to help you out if you do decide to buy it.

Must not have read very close it's a 5 Speed. Which makes it even better of a deal!

Must not have read very close it's a 5 Speed. Which makes it even better of a deal!

I was pretty sure it was an auto because I saw the shift lever in the picture.....
And yeah, I didn't read it carefully...just skimmed it right before I left the house for an appointment at my daughters school.

My fault. Sorry. :(

Anyway, I took a better look at the picture and I mistakenly thought that the ignition cylinder was the shift lever.

That being the case, it's the M5OD-R1, not the A4LD which means this Explorer just became that much better of a buy. If you've got $800 to spend and want to grab this, go for it.....the 4x4 not working is probably an easy fix.

I was pretty sure it was an auto because I saw the shift lever in the picture.....
And yeah, I didn't read it carefully...just skimmed it right before I left the house for an appointment at my daughters school.

My fault. Sorry. :(

Anyway, I took a better look at the picture and I mistakenly thought that the ignition cylinder was the shift lever.

That being the case, it's the M5OD-R1, not the A4LD which means this Explorer just became that much better of a buy. If you've got $800 to spend and want to grab this, go for it.....the 4x4 not working is probably an easy fix.

It happens to us all. I wish I could have found one like this when I was looking that thing is a steal.

It happens to us all. I wish I could have found one like this when I was looking that thing is a steal.

No kidding. When my wife and I bought our 94 XLT, we picked it up for $700 and it had:

Blown slave cylinder.
Broken driver seat.
Bad brakes (no pads, rotors gouged pretty bad, no shoes, drums gouged).
Bad MAF sensor.
4 mismatched tires (all the same size, just different brands and tread design).
Blown autohubs.

And I still thought we got a good deal on it. :D

No kidding. When my wife and I bought our 94 XLT, we picked it up for $700 and it had:

Blown slave cylinder.
Broken driver seat.
Bad brakes (no pads, rotors gouged pretty bad, no shoes, drums gouged).
Bad MAF sensor.
4 mismatched tires (all the same size, just different brands and tread design).
Blown autohubs.

And I still thought we got a good deal on it. :D

I got my 92 for $400

All 4 shocks were rusted through
Exhaust rusted apart from the muffler back
4 bald tires
Interior dirty and full of dust (A LOT OF DUST)
Corroded battery cables
Bad battery
Sticky front hubs (just needed cleaning out)

I think I got a good deal too, but I betcha I have A LOT more into mine than it would take to get that 94 going good. Plus, I am stuck with an A4LD. I am with you guys, I wish I could have found one like that...

thanks guys i really appreciate the help im going to look at it this week im not completely new to explorers i had a 99 eddie bauer with the 302 and awd last winter. this trucks just a completely different setup lol. i never thought id say it but i really do miss the explorer no problems in the 30k miles i drove it in six months and my 2003 saab i drive now is a complete pile of junk. ill let you guys know if i get it!

Thats Clean! I would nab it is a heartbeat! Especially w/ a 5 spd!

Man I would grab it my self if it were closer to home and then change a few parts out from my 93 (I would have to change that transfer case for mine being mine is a manual!)And sell it. (The 93 that is.)

BUY IT BUY IT, thats a great deal! Does it have the 5 or 6 digit odometer. Some late 94s had a 6 digit. All the others it was a guess if it would be 93,000 or 193,000. I just got a 94 XLT for $550 with a blown auto trans and much rougher interior. Mine has the 6 digit with 182,600 on the clock. Compared to mine yours is a steal.

I take it he didn't buy it because it's back up. Does anyone recall the original ad? Is it still basically the same? I'm awaiting a reply from the seller...this would get be back into a vehicle for sure. :)

Back