• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer problem.

turbochargedzx2

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick,MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer XLT
Just bought a 1994 explorer XLT and it just does not want to shift out of first on the auto transmission,you have to take it up to about 25mph and let off the gas for about 3 to 5 seconds and it will then go to 2nd gear. All other gears work fine. Does anybody know anything i could check to help this problem.

Thanks for any help
Bobby

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty common problem on the 91-94's. Do a search on A4LD transmission.

check all vacuum lines, there is a vacuum assist to the tranny (shift late on low vacuum, shift early on high vacuum) I've seen it happen before, but not usually in first only... Electronics may control other shifts higher up... I'm not a real big tranny guy.

It might be as simple as a clogged pickup filter. How many miles on it? Has fluid been changed? ( by that I mean drop the pan and change the filter also)
I personally have ALL my transmissions power flushed every 35k, and that alone has kept me stupid about transmission problems. But I had a 71 cougar that did the same thing, it was a clogged filter. I might be wrong, but I'd rather try that first, b-4 disassembly.

Re

the explorer has 148,000 miles on it.Ihave no clue when and if the trans fluid and filter has been changed,it doesnt look fresh that is for sure.

Thanks for the help so far everybody.

allso i just found out that the 4x4 does not work either. ^The lights light up on the dash 4x4 and low range but it is not working.
Any ideas on where to start on the 4x4 problem??

Thanks everybody

High probability of a stuck/sticky governor. Might read up on that too. The 4X4 carries a strong possibility it is a bad shift motor. Lots of info on this board about both. Both fixable without removing the trannie, but to fix the governor you will need to remove the transfer case. (Good time to fix the shift motor if you isolate that as the problem.

I would start by having the tranny flushed and the filter changed by a good shop. You might as well replace the modulator since the tranny will be exposed. I think that would be a the cheapest and best way to start.

For the 4x4 how do you know its not working? If you have auto hubs still I would start looking there first.

possibly the valve body, had this problem under warranty and thats what it was. good luck

Sounds like a sticky governor to me (I had the problem once.. too me < 2 hours to fix). There are threads on replacing it around.. it isn't that hard to do..

~Mark

Back