• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Limited.

dean63

Reaction score
City, State
Cadillac,MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
"94 and 04"
I recently replaced the lower intake manifold gasket (who hasn't) on our 1994Ford Explorer Limited with 194,000 miles on it. The problem I just started having is when the Explorer sets overnight it can be difficult to start. I have plenty of cranking power, however it will idle extremely low and erratic until it warms up then it runs fine. I drove it to work tonight and it seemed the throttle stuck on it. Should I be looking towards checking the TPS and/or IAC sensor or possibly even a sticky throttle plate? It sat for a couple of weeks with no fuel in the tank and the battery disconnected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Throttle stuck huh....
As simple as this sounds, make sure the floor mat is pulled back. If mine gets to far forward, the pedal gets stuck behind it.

No, it was certainly an engine problem. Floor mats are all cinched down in their perspective spots!!!

Do a search for sea foam and try running some through the intake.

Ditto on the sea foam, to me it sounds like your throttle body could be dirty and that might explain it sticking, sea foam should clear that though unless it's on the outside of course

I had a sticking throttle on my 93 Limited. I didn't look hard enough for it, but I suspected something hanging up around the throttle body linkage.

Check the vacuum lines going to the intake, but more importantly the fuel pressure regulator. Is there any evidence of fuel or loose hoses?

Appreciate the ideas I certainly will try it (Seafoam). I'm pretty certain I didn't damage anything on the Throttle Body when I had it off.

On the positive side though I did get the coolant leak stopped, which was my original mission. Now, to get the post-reassembly gremlins worked out!

I had an issue with my throttle sticking about a month ago too. I thought it was my TB, but after cleaning it out with TB cleaner, it still got stuck once like a week after when I was on the highway. I tried to tap it to get it to go down at it got stuck at 3k RPM which was really bad when I got to the city and home (brake torquing, hah).

Turned out to be my IAC.. I just took it off and saw the valve was stuck open. I cleaned it out with some TB/carb cleaner and it's been perfect for over a month now. After 200k, I guess it got gummed up pretty good and got stuck open. I never had an issue with it starting though.. it would just occasionally idle high (around 1500-2000k) upon startup and I could tap the gas to get it to go back down sometimes.

I had an issue with my throttle sticking about a month ago too. I thought it was my TB, but after cleaning it out with TB cleaner, it still got stuck once like a week after when I was on the highway. I tried to tap it to get it to go down at it got stuck at 3k RPM which was really bad when I got to the city and home (brake torquing, hah).

Turned out to be my IAC.. I just took it off and saw the valve was stuck open. I cleaned it out with some TB/carb cleaner and it's been perfect for over a month now. After 200k, I guess it got gummed up pretty good and got stuck open. I never had an issue with it starting though.. it would just occasionally idle high (around 1500-2000k) upon startup and I could tap the gas to get it to go back down sometimes.

my iac stuck close.. ran great when untill the engine hit operating temp then it was poop. my first fix was fire it up shoot to work be it could reach temp.. then i had a brillaint idea... i opened it up placed 1 bb pellet where the spring is.. warning do not do that. it is very bad!!!! you could possibally die.. finally i replaced the stupid thing for 70$

Back