1994 Ford Explorer Rainwater Leak Into Both Front Footwells. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Rainwater Leak Into Both Front Footwells.

prince402

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer
There is a rectangular channel running the width of the windshield just in front of it and under the trim strip. The windshield wiper pedestals drain into it as well as the fresh air intake vent forward of the windshield. The windshield wiper motor bolts onto the firewall side of this channel and the wiper actuator arms are in this channel.

On the firewall side of this channel there is a visible horizontal seam (weld line?) that is visibly seeping in a few places. I'm guessing that there is a seam also on the interior side of this channel that may be leaking into the footwells. The design is for the water to drain from the left and right ends of this channel down into the wheel wells. Access from the firewall into this channel is by removing two black cover plates but it is a very limited access. In what little that was visible through the firewall access panel at the far right, I found a rust hole about the size of a quarter and was able to get in there to patch that. I thought that maybe I had solved the problem but sadly it's still leaking, yes a little less, but still leaking.

I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this problem and figured out a way of waterproofing this channel even with the limited access. The truck is otherwise in really, really good shape with good original paint and almost no body rust as a Florida truck. It's a shame that it is meeting its demise with this problem. I'm hoping someone may have an idea for solving this. I'm wondering if a long undercoat sprayer would be able to coat and waterproof his channel through the two access ports.

Firewall photos with right access panel removed.
20201006_153446.jpg

20201006_153511.jpg

Not %100 I understand what exactly you are describing, but if you have water accumulating in that channel behind the firewall you might have debree that is plugging up the corners. There are foam insulators on both sides that run between the door and the fender panel. The easiest way to check for debree ( if you can't see through the access port near the brake booster) is pull back that foam to view the bottom corners of that channel, which should be open I believe are intended for drainage. You might have a hard time to get the foam to stay putting it back though, without some spray adhesive or similar.

If you the rusted out location is just in a spot that leaks the moment it rains, and you can't easily access it to properly patch, there isn't really an easy way to access the entirety of that channel without some cutting/drilling, and the most appropriate solution for you may be to just drill some extra drainage holes along the footwell channels, and spray extra protective waterproof coat on floor around it. May need to add a plastic riser mesh under the carpet to prevent mildew/ mold.

I'm just running from memory here, but the cowling panel (the piece where the wiper arm shafts stick thru and withh all the holes) should be removable and will allow you access to that entire area behind the firewall. You should be able to access some of the panel screws by pulling the hood weatherstripping off the top of the firewall (that rubber strip just above your wiper motor. There may also be some screws holding it down under the rear portion of the fenders (this is the part I can't remember). If so, then you'll have to pull the fenders off also.

Thanks to you both, kmack and ChildIdencicant, for taking the time to reply so thoroughly. I'll try applying some of that information tomorrow and let you know.

Back