1994 ranger 4x4 will not engage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ranger 4x4 will not engage

anthony516

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford ranger
I have a1994 ranger that I recently bought for hunting. The 4x4 was working perfect one day and the next day wouldn't do anything. I figured it was the shift control motor so I replaced that, with no results. Next I changed the buttons themselves, again nothing. I changed the 4x4 module (computer) no results. Is there anything else that I should try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have auto hubs, are they engaging?

With the front wheels on the ground try spinning the driveshaft. After a rotation or two the hubs should click in automatically.

They were changed to manual hubs. When locked the driveshaft will not spin.

Is there a relay that needs to be checked along with the fuses?

same problem

I have a1994 ranger that I recently bought for hunting. The 4x4 was working perfect one day and the next day wouldn't do anything. I figured it was the shift control motor so I replaced that, with no results. Next I changed the buttons themselves, again nothing. I changed the 4x4 module (computer) no results. Is there anything else that I should try? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

On my truck had the same issue. It was a bad neutral safety switch on the clutch peddle. Use a scotch lock electrical connector to jump/bypass switch. worked great for me. Till I could replace it.

Back