• Register Today It's free!

auto 4X4 will not engage

mpica

Reaction score
City, State
Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer, when engaging the 4X4 button, I hear a loud grinding or rubbing sound, but when i get out of 4X4 mode and reverse for a few ft, all is back to normal.

I am not mechanically incline, will this cost me more that the car is worth to fix? or can a dummy like me do?

HELP PLEASE...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might want to put off your front hubs off cause you might have broken hubs which isnt hard to replace you can just go to a wreaking yard and pick up two locking hubs or if they are broken you can always switch to manual locking hubs it would be a good time to change over if they are broken

Easy easy. Do you have a floor jack and jack stands? If you do, or know someone who does...
Jack up and support the front axles. Leave the truck turned off, and do not engage the 4wd. Get under the truck and grab the drive shaft that goes to the front. Turn it. (Doesn't matter which way) You should hear and feel both front wheels "click" and start turning. If they do anything other than that, then yes, you need to pull the front wheels off and replace the hubs. They are not as scary to do as it sounds.
Try all that and then come back and post the results. We'll be able to help better after that.

mettler answer

Mettler: That WAS the best, easiest answer re checking this out and concise! No bs. I and two others spent about two hours firguring this out. Great start on finding the problem. Wayne.

Mettler: That WAS the best, easiest answer re checking this out and concise! No bs. I and two others spent about two hours firguring this out. Great start on finding the problem. Wayne.

Well, thank you. :cool:

Thank you for your response, I will try this weekend and let you all know what I did and what should be my next step.

Back