1995 Aerostar with a 4.0L won't go into overdrive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar with a 4.0L won't go into overdrive.

jordan101

Reaction score
City, State
versailles,mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
my father has the 95 4.0 and his isnt shifting into overdrive. We recently had the tranny fluid changed and the mechanic couldnt see any metal shavings or really nothing wrong inside the tranny. I beleive i checked the right fuse which is number 17 or 18 in fuse box they were good unless it has a relay under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No engine codes. I know the maf is like 2 years old but i can clean it. Is the tps the throttle position sensor? And whats the ect sensor?

Ok it is running rich so i think it is either the ect or tps sensor but where is the tps sensor located at? I own an explorer so i have no clue where these sensors are even located at.

The TPS is the throttle position sensor. It's on the side of the throttle body, and has two phillips screws holding it. These screws are usually hard to remove. Ford should have used hex head bolts. The ECT is the engine coolant temperature sensor. It could cause a rich condition if it's out of spec. You could check the TPS & ECT with an Ohmmeter.

Wouldnt a code go off if either sensor is bad.

Ha! You beat me to the punch BB.

Cheers,
Wood.

do either of you guys know the specs or where i can find i dont have a manual or anything.

I never thought of that all i got is an obd2 code reader i think ill take it to oreily auto parts and see if they can code read it.

o man thats old school i remember the 89 honda prelude i had it was an obd0 so it had 17 codes and when the check engine light came on all i had to do was count the flashes of the led light on the pcm.

ya i got mine there for 25 dollars and its pretty good.

I had the same problem my 1995 awd ran good parked it for the night the next day on O/D I found the problem after doing all the testing. I took off the oil pan on the transmission and found a broke O/D band so I took out the trans. replaced the band checked all the other parts and it even shifted better then before the loc. transmission shop told me alot of the transmissions like mind had the same trouble they helped me anytime I had a ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1995 should be OBD-1. You can read them using a good analog VOM & data link to get them, then check codes on line for your specific vehicle. In fact isn't there a sticky on here somewhere about reading FoMoCo OBD-1 data ?

Also be sure internal solenoids & connections in A4LD, in fact all Bordeaux C3 variants function. Many a $'s are been spent on unneccessary O'Hauls when it's more faulty/ inaccurate diagnosis of errant internal solenoid or worse bad internal or external wiring!

FBp ;)

Back