1995 Explorer Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)

mcycleboy

Reaction score
City, State
East Winthrop, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 Explorer Limited
I am confused as to what my options are on replacing my camshaft postion sensor...please bare with me.

My all stock 1995 Explorer 4.0L OHV pushrod is throwing a 214 code and after checking out carefully I find that the CMP is in fact bad. The signal out of the sensor to the PCM is always high...does not pulse at all. I can't seem to find a replacement CMP sensor part only.

Does the 1995 Explorer have a replacement CMP sensor only available or are they all intergrated into the syncronizer body??

Ford now sells only a whole unit replacement for $400 which is the sensor and syncronizer body. Checking other sources...like Autozone list only the full unit at $350 bucks and rockauto.com seems to list replacement sensors but the pictures show them as being slightly different plugs. (?)

Would anyone be able to give me a either a valid Ford Part number for the CMP sensor only or valid aftermarket sensor only part number for my 95 Explorer 4.0L OHV unit? I understand..but could be wrong...that Ford used to sell this as a separate part?

I also understand that the CMP sensor was used in at least some 1994 Explorers are the same. What other years will fit mine??

Thanks in advance

tom johnson east winthrop maine 1995 Explorer XLT 160k miles

I have a 1995 CMP sensor :) PM me if you want it CHEAP!

I installed a 97 engine into a 95 truck and I used the 97 sensor, so the 95 sensor I have is doing me no good.

410Fortune said:
I have a 1995 CMP sensor :) PM me if you want it CHEAP!

I installed a 97 engine into a 95 truck and I used the 97 sensor, so the 95 sensor I have is doing me no good.
hey 410 ...thanks for the offer on the cmp sensor. I take it that these sensors are replaceable? I really don't want to take the sycronizer body out and have to mess with timing it and all that stuff.

Back