1995 ranger cruise control issues HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 ranger cruise control issues HELP!!

pintobobster

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford ranger XLT 4WD
1995 ranger automatic 4X4 4.0L cruise control issues

speed control light has not worked since ive owned it, I have read posts on how to wire it to make it work, so I cannot do the self check at this time.

here are some issues and repairs to date, (may have forgot a few)?

issue
cruise just up and stopped working was working fine for 4 months then POOF NOTHING, (only have had for four months so gremlins are creeping up on me), all fuses are good, replaced both switches left and right on steering wheel, I have replaced cruise deactivation switch (twice and jumper) replace VSS on transmission, and ABS sensor on rear-end (why not they were cheap cost and i don't know what previous owners have done), opened up the servo no rust movement is good nothing sticking, cable moves freely to throttle,

NOW
what I need and don't know is the trouble shooting the Voltages or resistance at connections or a good schematic to follow each wire, and what else could control the cruise to not work, I have a OBII code reader and it reads no codes, also I have a little electrical knowledge enough to trace issues, I have a good DMM, just lacking the knowledge to follow or trouble shoot or find a good diagram or schematic to trace

could some one with a lot more knowledge please assist me on this issue...

I miss my cruise and use it constantly ANY HELP is much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow

no body huh??

WOW

not much help here

does anybody live here anymore??

I see this thread has 500 views, I guess the right person who knows hasn't come along. Hopefully your reviving it from last year will be the ticket!

Maybe the schematic you need is somewhere in this thread: Dead Link Removed

Best bet I'd say is that your steering wheel wiring jumpers have gone out... That's where I'd start if they weren't replaced with the switches.

Yes i did replace the wiring along with the switches
As i have read in other posts
If it was ir is the clock in the wheel the horn would have issues also

still having issues

bump

anyone help me with this??

I love my cruise it was a long trip from Washington State to Utah and back with no cruise

I have replaced the SCDS
the brake switch (at brake peddle)
replaced whole taillights both
replaced switches at steering wheel also the wires
also did the paper clip jumper at the SCDS

everything else works but the Cruise control...

horn works
hazards work
turn signals work
I am driving my self to the nut farm!!!

if anyone has a link to a step by step (I know asking a lot) of test spots I have a DMM and a probe light,

thanks again for any help comments

BUMP......
Been two years still needing help fixing my speed control (cruise control)

anyone??

Got my cruise issue repaired,
found out that speed control cutoff switch was issue (the recall fird issue)

here is what I found

part number# Motorcraft SW6350
which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger 4.0 engine is "INCORRECT"
(after replacing this part three times)

part number# Motorcraft SW-6349 which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger is "CORRECT"
(after replacing this with CORRECT part one time)

SHOTGUN $ wasted to find this out

Cruise is working perfectly AGAIN after 2 years .......

hopes this helps someone else here searching for speed control (cruise control) issues

Got my cruise issue repaired,
found out that speed control cutoff switch was issue (the recall fird issue)

here is what I found

part number# Motorcraft SW6350
which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger 4.0 engine is "INCORRECT"
(after replacing this part three times)

part number# Motorcraft SW-6349 which says fits and works for the 1995 ford ranger is "CORRECT"
(after replacing this with CORRECT part one time)

SHOTGUN $ wasted to find this out

Cruise is working perfectly AGAIN after 2 years .......

hopes this helps someone else here searching for speed control (cruise control) issues

Thanks for posting the update. It's a good thing you discovered the self induced issue on your own.

I think the parts retailer owes you something to compensate you for discovering their fitment guide was wrong.

Thanks for posting the update. It's a good thing you discovered the self induced issue on your own.

I think the parts retailer owes you something to compensate you for discovering their fitment guide was wrong.
yes,
I have noticed a lot of members do not give updates
I thought it would be nice to update my repair.

yeah dealing with parts people whom look at a computer screen with a ASE badge on there shoulder.

good luck if you bought it from rock auto. their catalogs are never wrong even when they are.
roscoe

Yes I h
good luck if you bought it from rock auto. their catalogs are never wrong even when they are.
roscoe
Yes I have used rockauto.com,
And Googled many other sites looking for the same. Thats how I got the wrong part so many times.
Finally found the second part number on Ebay took a chance researched it and found "IT" to be the correct part for the 1995 Ranger Cruise/Speed Control Shut Off.
You learn something new everyday lol

Yes I h
roscoe
Yes I have used rockauto.com,
And Googled many other sites looking for the same. Thats how I got the wrong part so many times.
Finally found the second part number on Ebay took a chance researched it and found "IT" to be the correct part for the 1995 Ranger Cruise/Speed Control Shut Off.
You learn something new everyday lol

Hi guys!! Nice post! I have a 1995 Ranger in Brazil and the cruise control is not working! I’ll try to replace this part!

What’s the best website to purchase parts? I found good prices on ebay! Thans a lot!

Back