• Register Today It's free!

1995 with a bouncing speedometer.

carlstaz

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomingburg, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddybauer
need help speedo bounce changed gear ,,sensor ,checked wiring cant stand it speedo drops to 0 tap gas goes back up let off goes back down also lost factory alarm 2 weeks ago heeeeeeellllppppp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm willing to bet you speedo servo is shot. Mine did the same thing. I replace the cluster and bam! My speedo worked again.

but will that make it down shift when it drops to 0 it down shifts to 1

but will that make it down shift when it drops to 0 it down shifts to 1

You didn't mention anything about this in your original post.

need help speedo bounce changed gear ,,sensor ,checked wiring cant stand it speedo drops to 0 tap gas goes back up let off goes back down also lost factory alarm 2 weeks ago heeeeeeellllppppp

Does the odometer, and cruise control still work?

Just got done fighting this same problem myself. Replaced the VSS and speedo gear on the VSS - needle still bounced or didn't move at all. Thought maybe it was a wiring issue, so I pulled the VSS again, attached a cordless drill to it and gave it a spin, needle moved normally.

Through a couple quick searches on the forum I found out that in addition to the speedo gear that is on the VSS there is another gear in the T-Case. This is the likely culprit. I bet if you pull the VSS again the new gear on the VSS will be chewed up.

However if the odometer, and cruise control still work then the VSS is working, and it is likely a wiring problem or faulty gauge.

This thread was also very helpful: Click here! You can also search this forum(just the 95-01 forum) for "VSS" and find all kinds of helpful information :D

Original post replaced gear , sensor in transfer case , checked wireing but dont know if rear vss would have anything to do with it.Just getting ready to rip dash apart cuz someone else said it could be in the dash.When i hit bumps it bounces up sometimes but aside from alarm sys everything works fine

Check the wiring in the steering column before you open the dashboard. One way to see if a wire is pinched without taking anything apart is to tilt the column, drive around, and see if you still have the same issue.

Just went out mobile now ol try what u said

Back