• Register Today It's free!

1996 awd uses

chuck1022

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer v8
I bought a 1996 Explorer AWD 5.0L. I'm gonna Explorer swap my 1977 Bronco. I know the rear end is often bought by jeep ppl and other types....but has anyone found a use for the front axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front diff is basically. 3.73 open carrier that will fit most 95-01 explorers mountaineers and sports. Also fits 98-11 torsion bar rangers and Mazda pickips

Otherwise pretty useless I have a bunch of these on the shelf lol

You may find somebody with a 98-99 ranger and vacuum hubs that wants your cv axles knuckles and wheel bearings so they can delete their vacuum hubs

The real gem here is your awd t case
The 96-97.5 awd transfer case has a speed sensor in it, by 98 that sensor went away. Finding a good working 96-97 awd t case can be tricky anymore so that 96 case has some
Value for anyone looking to fix their bad 96-97.5 awd

Your early bronco dudes finding out about our beloved 5.0 explorer drivetrain has really made them harder to get and more expensive!!! Sure does make for a nice swap!! Good luck

I have bought 2, looking for a 3rd for projects. I live in the Arizona..so they are all rust free. When I relocate to Michigan...hopefully I help some people out with some rust free cars.

What kind of projects?

Probably our 5.0 donors lol ever since early bronco dudes discovered the gt40 fuel injected power plant with desirable 4r70w could be used in their old iron pigs the price for donors doubled…..

Probably our 5.0 donors lol ever since early bronco dudes discovered the gt40 fuel injected power plant with desirable 4r70w could be used in their old iron pigs the price for donors doubled…..
I'm looking for a possible donor. I've got a 97 motor that has been sitting a long time. Might not be as good as I hope.

LoL

Old iron pigs.

What kind of projects?
I'm gonna do an old iron pig Bronco.

I'm am trying to negotiate a 1966 mustang from a neighbor.

A factory 5 cobra.

All with silky smooth 5.0L Explorer motors and OD transmission (cobra will have a manual of some sorts).

I am not a horse power junky. I want super reliable. If it's always broken down or not running right...it is not fun

Well 5.0 explorer drivetrains are about as reliable as it gets
Here I own 7.3s and 5.0s reliability is a non issue

Well 5.0 explorer drivetrains are about as reliable as it gets
Here I own 7.3s and 5.0s reliability is a non issue
I would love to have an old 7.3 diesel......or are you talking the new 7.3 gas.

I would love to have an old 7.3 diesel......or are you talking the new 7.3 gas.
Either would be cool in a project car. A 66 mustang with big block power....

Back