• Register Today It's free!

1996 EB fog lights upgrades?

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
My 96's factory fog lights are seriously yellowed/hazed.

I tried to polish them with plastic polish and wet sanded them with some fine paper. They are better but the passenger light is worse and very yellow.

M5HJzbB.png

I did change from 880 bulb to a 893 bulb. Not much difference.

Was there ever a factory glass lens/housing for the fog lights?

My other idea is to install a set of clear rectangular driving lights, instead of a fog light, and use 100W bulbs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscribed

Try just buying new ones off of ebay. I did and they look great now. 40.00 to 50.00 bucks apiece including new brackets.

Maybe consider removing the assemblies and putting some LED ones in their place.

I was going to do that 893 upgrade, but now that you mentioned it didn't make much difference, I'll pry cross that off my list...

Trying to find an LED assembly that fits in their place is the hard part.

I would hate to buy new assemblies PLUS new LED Bulbs.

Maybe consider removing the assemblies and putting some LED ones in their place.

I was going to do that 893 upgrade, but now that you mentioned it didn't make much difference, I'll pry cross that off my list...

The bulb isn't going to make a difference if the lens is too hazed.

I'm thinking I'd like a pair of Hella 450 driving lights. Getting factory original replacements would cost about the same.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-005860231

replacement fogs are on hold.
I had a pair of lights in my locker in the garage.
About an hour in the garage. Bent up a piece of aluminum scrap and mounted up the lights.
I want to wire them into the fog lights to come on with the auxiliary light switch.

DM2IhNn.png

I swapped out the bumper assembly from my 97 to a 99-2001. Has a nicer look with the chrome corners and larger fog lights. Its a direct bolt in.

Total cost was like $60 from JY.

Back