1996 Explorer Shift Solenoid

2945a

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, and this is my first Explorer. I bought it from an impound lot for my Daughter, and it needs a little TLC.
It runs excellent, has a nice body, a nice interior. and everything works.
It drives really nice as well for 198,000 miles, but it does have a couple of problems.
I've completely gone through the brakes, oil change, etc.
The trans doesn't want to shift out of first gear. If I drive between 2500. and 3000 RPM, it will eventually shift into second, (20-30 seconds later) and from there it seems fine.
The Check Engine light was on, and the scanner said Shift Solenoid B was stuck. Unfortunately, I don't remember the code #, and the truck is not at my house at the moment. I've browsed through the forums, but everything references solenoids 1,2,3,4.
My question is this: Which Solenoid do I need to replace?
What should I ewxpect to pay for the part?
Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Sometimes these codes are not so straight forward. There is a possibility that the solenoid is good, and it's a problem with the internal wiring harness or a bad connection in the bulkhead connector. Try to find out what the code number is. You have a 4R55E transmission.

Thanks for the reply.
I think the trans is a A4LD.
When I bought the filter and gaskit, it was wrong, and the store I bought it from was closed. I went to another parts store, and he had both the wrong one that I had, and the correct one. The pan is pretty much rectangular.
The "wrong" one had a taper on both sides, at one end.
Production date on the truck is 10/95.

Thanks for the reply. I'm learning... that's why I'm here.
So, which solenoid is solenoid B?
Thanks

https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=A4LD/4R44E/4R55E/5R55E&Schematic=9
4R44E%20Valve%20Body%20Parts.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1747117&postcount=5
attachment.php

Awesome!!
That's what I was looking for.
Thank you.
I'm going to scan it again, confirm the code, and go from there.
I'll let you know if this resolves my problem.

I'm Back....
Replaced Shift Solenoid B, and problem remains the same.:(
Still getting P0756 almost immeadiately. Check engine lt comes on after about 8 miles. It does seem slightly better, but it's probably my imagination. It does shift...around 2900-3000 rpm, and sometimes it takes longer than others.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dennis

As suggested in post # 2, the solenoid could be good, but the internal wiring harness or the bulkhead connector could have an intermittent problem. A scan code showing a bad solenoid doesn't necessarily mean that the solenoid is bad.

I've got a similar problem with my daughter's 1999 Explorer Sport 4wd. I think it also has the 4R55E trans, but need to confirm. I have a basic OBD II scan tool. Will that pull trans codes? The vehicle runs great for 30 - 45 minutes, but then the solenoid(s) heat up and the trans will not shift. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll drop the trans pan and begin to inspect. Is this an expensive repair? Thank you in advance.

Welcome to this forum! Your vehicle has a 5R55E. It uses the OBDII system, so your scanner should work on it just as long as it's capable of reading transmission codes. It sounds like your problem might be related to bad valve body gaskets.

Can you explain a little more if you have time. So it may not be the solenoids at all? So my initial line of attach should be to carefully drop the valve body and replace the gasket? I assume that a bad gasket might cause the internal components to heat up and fail. Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, I'm considering just replacing the trans if I can find a decent used one.
What years, and Models use the same 4r55E trans? Explorer, Ranger, etc?
I want something "plug & Play" where I don't have to swap a bunch of stuff to make it fit, or work correctly.
Thanks Again,
Dennis

Well I've been sitting here for hours trying to figure out what to do for 96 explorer, I got only 1 code that I thought would be easy to find a answer for P0756, seems there's dozens of answers for that one code and none that is simple. So tomorrow I will drop the trans pan, replace the Shift Solenoid B and go from there if there's no broken parts in the pan! I know for a fact that the transmission hasn't been serviced in 5 years and just found out that there's no leaks anywhere on it which seems odd for a 96 model! I do know that a elderly couple bought it new and had it serviced like a religion until they started having trouble getting in and out of it, they then traded it for a new car. It hasn't been serviced since my Daughter in law bought it, since then no service, not even an oil change. Anyway they were going to junk it and ask me if I wanted it and ofc I said yes and they gave it to me. So far I've had the entire front end rebuilt, tuned it up, replaced valve cover gaskets and new plug wires, engine runs like new and has absolutely no noise at all with 200k on it, drives and rides like new, never wrecked! I just can't give up on it for some reason I love it now that I've drove it for 2 months. I have saved many suggestions you guys made, this site is a treasure trove of information and I appreciate each and every one of you guys! If all else fails I'll pull the tranny and have it rebuilt! Oddly enough I think a 96 that only has one code is worth saving. I also have a 96 extended cab Ford Ranger 2wd with 150k miles on it that runs good as well but is developing a slip between 3-4th gears in extreme heat, so it'll likely need a tranny too before long but the cost of getting both transmissions rebuilt is way cheaper than buying a new car with what they cost now! Anyway guys this is way longer than I intended it to be but you guys are awesome!

Edit : Ok so I replaced both shift sensors A and B and the same exact problem still exists, it still says shift sensor B is stuck, the pan was actually pretty clean for a transmission with 200,600 miles on it, the fluid was still a pink/reddish color! I am guessing the servo is right next to the valve body, so what if anything can some tell me about my next move on my transmission, should I replace the valve body completely and or the servo? This is Explorer is a really nice SUV for a 96 model and I'd really like to keep it running and driving but I am at a loss as to where to go from here. The transmission does not slip at all, it just doesn't shift from 1st to 2nd unless I let up on the accelerator, other than that it shifts good afterward and always down shifts all the way back to 1st, I'm stumped here and can't trust what my scanner is telling me after this fiasco!

Back