1996 Explorer. Shift solenoid replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer. Shift solenoid replacement.

jcmiracle

Reaction score
City, State
Yardley, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi,
I need to replace shift solenoid 2 in the trans of my 96 Explorer and was wondering if this is accessable by simply dropping the pan, or if the valve body also needs to be removed.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the transmissions section. Check the internal wiring harness before you replace the shift solenoid. You could replace the shift solenoid without removing the valve body.

Just wondering what your symptoms are? Just today while doing some off-roadin, I stoped to eat a sammach. Once finished, I started her up, backed back onto the trail but when I put it in 1 the engine just revved. Tried 2, D, R.... nothing, just revving the engine. When I put it into park it would make a clicking type sound. I got towed home and once home I tried it again and everything worked fine. I was wonding if you have similar symptoms because I was suspecting maybe the shift solenoid is on its way out... I have a 96 XLT as well.

I'm getting OBD code P0756 [Shift Solenoid "B" Performance or Stuck Off],and the check engine light is on. The symptoms include the engine light blinking when the powertrain is under load either accelerating quickly or going up hill; the truck also shudders as if in a higher gear than it should be (if you've ever driven a manual transmission and accidentaly started out in 3rd intead of 1st, it's that same shudder.

I'm also getting OBD code [Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected] and yesterday decided to take care of the easy problem first and replace the spark plugs and wires (the engine was running a little rough also). When I took it out for a test drive, not only did the engine run great but I didn't feel any transmission shudder, shifting was smooth, and the engine light, although on, did not start blinking when trying to accelerate quickly.

I'm going to head out this morning and reset the codes and engine light, then take it out for a drive up some hills accelerating as fast as she can. I want to see if maybe the P0756 issue may have benn resolved by replacing the plugs and wires.

I don't know if it's possible that a bad misfire can cause a false transmission solenoid code, but that's what I'm hoping for.

Back