• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Shift Solenoid

97WHTXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Guyton, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I know this seems to be a popular topic, but I just wanted to try to get some basics for my Dad. He has a 2006 Explorer XLT, 4.0 SOHC, just hit 50,000 miles. He's been having some hard shifting problems so he took it to Ford to have them run diagnostics and he said they're saying it's the shift solenoid. Is this a PITA to do? Is Ford the only place to get the part? They told him it would be $1200 to fix it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford told me this was my problem as well, and that it would be $1000 to fix. I just quit worrying about it, but hopefully someone else knows more about it.

I had Ford replace this under my extended warranty and it did fix the problem. It was quoted $1200 so Im glad it was covered.

I had Ford replace this under my extended warranty and it did fix the problem. It was quoted $1200 so Im glad it was covered.

Rub it in why don't ya? :D

haha..sorry. The mechanic told me it's Ford 3rd solenoid design. I did just start getting the little surge right before coming to a stop so maybe a 4th design is in the works.

haha..sorry. The mechanic told me it's Ford 3rd solenoid design. I did just start getting the little surge right before coming to a stop so maybe a 4th design is in the works.

Dang...why can't they just figure how to fix it and do it for free? I know it costs them a lot of money, but I didn't buy the car so I could spend $1000 fixing their transmission. I doubt they'll make a 4th design, though, I'm pretty sure they've given up on the 4th gen Explorer. It's a shame this isn't a recall.

Back