1996 explorer stalled wont start!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer stalled wont start!!!

speedracer13

Reaction score
City, State
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
The other day my explorer Stalled while driving it and I can't figure out why trying to get ideas on where to start to try and fix this asap. It's a 96 explorer 4dr 4.0 ohv. I was driving down the road and it just died no warning and I didnt know it wasnt running till I tried turning the steering wheel and it was real stiff because it was not running anymore. any help would be greatly appreciatted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be so many things. If the engine turns over like the starter is working but doesn't "fire" it could be fuel pump, spark, sensor, etc... Do you have an OBD II reader? That would be a good place to start. Check codes. Other than that, you should be able to hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on. I would then check fuel pressure.

And when you do get the probelm sorted. Your steering will feel a bit stupid for a while because these cars dont like to be turned with the Power steering pump off.

Start at the most likely culprit

The fuel pump, THese normally go to about 100-130K, mine went to 150K and normally will show signs of"soon to fail", sputtering, especially under hard accel, tougher startups, etc.

See if you hear your fuel pump pressurizing when key moves to on position.

back to basics; you need air, fuel, and spark. start by checking these things. if air is pretty much a given, fuel pump or clogged fuel filter and no spark are high on the list of things to be checked.

Ok well I am going to start checking it out saturday since that is the only day I have time. But I am leaning toward the fuel pump, did the fuel filter not long ago and I can't hear the pump at the moment. Also no codes from the scan tool

Back