1996 Ford Explorer Transmission or Transfer Case Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Transmission or Transfer Case Issue

JayMan1974

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hi. My name is Jason. I have a 1996 Explorer V6 automatic. My Explorer acted up on me the other day. I stopped at a light and when I went to step on the gas it would move. I put it in low gear and it moved but was sluggish. After several seconds it was moving fine and I put it back into drive. Kept doing this every time I had to stop. I wasn't far from work so I drove there. When I got off work, I checked the fluids which were all ok. I started it up and when I put it in gear the engine cutout. After attempting this several times, I decided to give it more gas when I put it in gear and it finally stayed running. But the problem was my Explorer was not moving in any gear. I had it towed home so I could have a better look at it. When I put it in 4WD low and then put in it drive or reverse it would move but barely. When I turned the knob to switch to 4WD high it made a light winding noise and I heard the winding noise again when I switched it back to 2WD. After that I went to put it in park and it started to make a grinding noise. So my question is, what is causing the issue with my Explorer? The transmission or the transfer case. Is it a somewhat easy fix or is it something that is going to cost me thousands of dollars to repair? I have read several threads on hear but was hoping to get a better idea with my issue.

I had the same problems with my 98 and it turned out to be the transfer case. Bought a used one for $100, put it in and no more issues.

Back