• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case issue

mike98

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mercury mountaineer
Hey guys, I just picked up a 1998 mercury mountaineer 5.0 awd off of a coworker. I got it for 500 because he said it had a blown transfer case. I went to his house to tow it home and it would roll freely in park and wouldnt do anything when put in gear except make a winding sound. Im pretty sure it has a 4r70w and a bw4404 transfer case. He thought maybe the chain jumped off but either way we ruled out the transmission. Well I got it towed home last night and i put it in park and noticed it wouldnt move, as opposed to free rolling like it did before. I put it in gear and it drove! All the gears work and it seems just fine now. I took it up and down the street with no issues whatsoever. There is however a slight winding noise when driving but other than that, it seems just fine. What do you guys think happened? Where should I start looking to fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This one is weird. I've had that ginding buzzing when I have mis shifted my manual transfer case. Like you state, shutting the engine off, shifting to park and resetting the transfer case to 2wd lo ( in my case) fixed it.

However I can't see how the AWD case could do this. I'm going to move this to the stock 2nd gen sub forum for more views.

This one is weird. I've had that ginding buzzing when I have mis shifted my manual transfer case. Like you state, shutting the engine off, shifting to park and resetting the transfer case to 2wd lo ( in my case) fixed it.

However I can't see how the AWD case could do this. I'm going to move this to the stock 2nd gen sub forum for more views.
Okay thank you. I'm still new and getting used to this. But yeah it shocked me. One minute its making grinding noises and will roll in park, now it just acts like nothing happened. the guy who had it before me said he was taking off from a stop sign, heatd a very loud clunk and there was no power to the wheels. I don't see how something that catastrophic can happen but fix itself... I'd like to drive it but don't want to get stranded from it happening again.

That would be nice and simple. Would that cause the clunk he spoke of as well having no other gears?

Double post sorry

That would be nice and simple. Would that cause the clunk he spoke of as well having no other gears?

Well, if you find a loose or missing torx screw, I would have to say yes. ;)

If the range sensor was shifted while driving to the reverse position, then I would expect a clunk. The range sensor is on the drive side of the transmission case, and controlled by a cable--linkage setup. If the linkage was loose then yes I could see this happening.

Well, if you find a loose or missing torx screw, I would have to say yes. ;)

If the range sensor was shifted while driving to the reverse position, then I would expect a clunk. The range sensor is on the drive side of the transmission case, and controlled by a cable--linkage setup. If the linkage was loose then yes I could see this happening.

I don't know if this Turdle guy can be trusted. He only has 26,000+ posts!

True I only trust people with 27,000 posts or more :D but in all seriousness I'll check that out. Thanks guys

Okay I was getting ready to go for a test drive. I pulled oyt of my driveway, put it in gear, and heard a loud clunk and lost all power. Luckily it was in pushing distance of my driveway but now I have symptoms. If i put it in gear, it doesn't move but instead makes a winding noise. If i go from gear to park i get a loud grinding noise, which i think is tge transmission trying to go in park. It seems to me like the transmission isnt the culprit now as well as those bolts. I checked those and didn't see anything unsusual. Transmission or transfer case?

Transfer case.

Well I'm in the process of removing it but cant figure out how to get to the top bolts on the transfer case. The exhaust is in the way. Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Access panel under the console .

Access panel under the console .

Your awesome, thanks

I bought some c-shaped wrenches instead of going through the console. It worked, not sure if it was easier. Definitely impossible without the special wrenches.

If you have to change the transfer case anyway, might as well do a bwd 4406 swap and make it a 4x4 with hi-lo

Ok. I'd like to give a little update. I split the case halves and couldn't find much wrong. I found a somewhat loose chain guide and tge fluid was straight black. Any suggestions. tye transmission output shaft doesn't spin either, it feels like its in oark so thats a good thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black fluid sounds like the viscous clutch is shot

Back