1996 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 not going into 4hi or 4lo | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 not going into 4hi or 4lo

Kade831

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford ranger xlt 4.0
Hi I just did the transmission in my 96 ranger and this morning I went to go test to see if 4wd worked but nothing all I get is a couple clicks behind the dash (when I switch it to 4hi or lo) and the 4hi and 4lo lights blink 3 times has anyone else has this problem before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I just did the transmission in my 96 ranger and this morning I went to go test to see if 4wd worked but nothing all I get is a couple clicks behind the dash (when I switch it to 4hi or lo) and the 4hi and 4lo lights blink 3 times has anyone else has this problem before?
codes? sometimes could be a loose harness, or once unplugging battery and letting it relearn worked.

What exactly do you mean by “just did the transmission”, fluid change, or dropped and swapped, or something in between?
And did the tcase shift fine before the trans work?

codes? sometimes could be a loose harness, or once unplugging battery and letting it relearn worked.
What exactly do you mean by “just did the transmission”, fluid change, or dropped and swapped, or something in between?
I just replaced the old transmission with a new one the old one got burnt out

YOu didn’t say if the tcase was working shifting fine before the swap, but check the first post in this thread for some basic tests to narrow down the problem. How to: - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide

Back