• Register Today It's free!

1996 v6 transmission.

wheelc

Reaction score
City, State
vero beach, florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt v6 4wd
i have a 96 explorer v6 4x4, transmission shifts up fine through gears, but when i slow down the truck slammed into 1st gear. hard enought to make my cd player skip. i had the transmission cooler line in the radiator break, i was told i needed a whole rebuild,paidto have it down, picked it up and on the drive home it was still the same. the mechanic didn't fix the problem. long story short after a month of fighting with the shop, gave up on it, been driving around for a year like it ,Approx. 12k miles. any suggestion?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 96 explorer v6 4x4, transmission shifts up fine through gears, but when i slow down the truck slammes into 1st gear. hard enought to make my cd player skip. i had the transmission cooler line in the radiator break, i was told i needed a whole rebuild, had it down ,didn't fix the problem. long story short after a month of fighting with the shop gave it on it, been driving around for a year like it ,Approx. 12k miles. any suggestion?

Sorry, hard to follow... you DID have the tranny rebuilt, or didn't?

yes i had it rebuilt and the radiator replacedin october 2008. picked it up from the shop and drove home and truck slammed into gear still.

Warranty? Take it back

took it back 4 times over a month and a half. huge headache, shop refused to refund money and since has gone out of business. it drives fine just whenever i slow down it slammes into low gear.

took it back 4 times over a month and a half. huge headache, shop refused to refund money and since has gone out of business. it drives fine just whenever i slow down it slammes into low gear.

Did they ever look at it? I would have taken it to a reputable tranny shop... and if they said that's not normal (I highly doubt it is)... and that it was something internal that they COULD have caused/done.... I would be speaking with an attorney at that point forcing the shop to refund money or do the repair.

Since they've since gone out of business, you might still take it to a tranny shop and get a new opinion... before any damage is caused because of it, just in case. And honestly, I'd still speak with a lawyer to see what your options are after you get a second opinion.

Back