1996 V8 fuel pump parts issue - NEED ADVICE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 V8 fuel pump parts issue - NEED ADVICE!

lizardflats

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V-8
I need some opinions from the forum.

My '96 XLT 5.0L V8 just had its fuel pump die at 165K miles.
The shop working on it has ordered pumps from 5 different suppliers locally and none of them match the old one exactly.
The old pump looks like this:
old pump annotated.jpg

The problem is that the replacement pump that is closest to this one doesn't have the plastic part circled in red for the mounting frame to screw into.

Here's a picture of the new pump the shop has:
new pump annotated.jpg

The red circle is where the plastic boss would need to be.

I found a complete assembly of the pump and frame on Rock Auto made by Delphi. It seems to have a plastic piece in that location, but it doesn't some with a screw there. Here are 2 pictures of that pump:
Delphi_1.jpg

Delphi_2.jpg

My question is whether you think it is really necessary to have the frame secured in that third spot.
Isn't this pump resting on the bottom of the tank? If so, I would think the two screws on the side of the pump would hold it fine.

I don't know if my local shop can or will get a complete assembly like the Delphi one. They don't want to put the new pump shown in the 2nd pic in the vehicle without the third mounting screw.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice. Delphi_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shop working on it has ordered pumps from 5 different suppliers locally and none of them match the old one exactly.
View attachment 434680

The problem is that the replacement pump that is closest to this one doesn't have the plastic part circled in red for the mounting frame to screw into.

View attachment 434681

I found a complete assembly of the pump and frame on Rock Auto made by Delphi. It seems to have a plastic piece in that location, but it doesn't some with a screw there. Here are 2 pictures of that pump:
View attachment 434684

View attachment 434683

My question is whether you think it is really necessary to have the frame secured in that third spot.
Isn't this pump resting on the bottom of the tank? If so, I would think the two screws on the side of the pump would hold it fine.

I don't know if my local shop can or will get a complete assembly like the Delphi one. They don't want to put the new pump shown in the 2nd pic in the vehicle without the third mounting screw.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice. View attachment 434682
Honestly if your sender is good, I would just get a Bosch pump and call it a day

Those first 2nd gen Explorers had a very unique fuel pump assembly. As time has passed, the parts suppliers have phased out many parts like those, plus messed up the replacement parts design etc, as you are finding out.

I would either adapt a common fuel pump to work in the old assembly, or adapt an entire later(1997-2001) Explorer assembly to the tank, and toss the old assembly. The Bosch pump for the updated design is common and cheap, I've bought two of them for under $50 by eBay in the last 6-7 years. The main assembly is the hard part to come by, hopefully you can find just a pump for that one you have.

I hate that stupid 95/96 style in tank unit!! all that plastic around the pump

can you open it up and replace just the pump? As mentioned if your fuel level sender is good then you just need a new pump, not the entire in tank drop in unit
Try to replace just the pump and strainer
We run Bosch pumps here, they last like stock

Do you have a part number and maybe a good source?

Thanks!
Rockauto but the Motorcraft part is like 500 but for the Bosch pump check ebay

View attachment 434680

View attachment 434681

View attachment 434684

View attachment 434683

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice. View attachment 434682
Is there a Ford part number stamped on the housing ? Should begin with f,

PFS40 is the motorcraft part number for 1995,
PFS 42 is for 4 door 1996 regardless of engine. use Bosch or motorcraft.

If you want to use the assembly that lacks the predrilled hole, why not just drill a hole yourself? Or as said above, just replace the fuel pump itself and not the entire assembly?

Be careful with cheap fuel pumps, as they do not last long. The parts store off-brand or store brand stuff is awful. I think the Forum consensus is to use Bosch or Walbro, if you can not find Motorcraft. Sadly, these are mostly not available at parts stores and you will need to order through Amazon, etc...

If you get a quality fuel pump, you should not have problems (for a while, hehehe). Good luck.

SOME of our second gen Explorers were manufactured / assembled in MEXICO....THOSE ONES USE DIFFERENT FUEL PUMPS then the SAME YEAR U.S. MODELS... don't ask me why but I know this for a fact ..... Your VIN number will indicate which country yours was assembled in hence correct pump to use.
NOTICE how this one on link has MEXICO model listed:
LINK
And here's the one I got for my USA made 4.0 ohv Explorer >> "
CARTER P74159 FUEL PUMP made USA for 95 96 Ford EXPLORER -- under "important notes" for compatibility it stated FOR USA assembled Explorers ONLY ! Unfortunately most sellers are unaware of distinction.....

NOT sure if this is the cause of your issue but QUITE possible.

Back