• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump opinions ???

Al Rapp

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
I am replacing my fuel pump assembly on my 1996 5.0 ltr. Eddie Bauer Explorer & would like to know some opinions on diff. brands. I was told to stay away from Airtex & Spectra & go with the Motorcraft, Carter, &/or Delphi. I know it's best to use Motorcraft but I was wondering how the Delphi unit compared. I also heard that the motorcraft unit was made by carter is there any truth to that? Orig. pump lasted me 148,000 mil. what should I expect from the Delphi ? I'm asking because the Motorcraft is so expensive...apx. $399 You get what you pay for but any opinions on the other products will be helpful

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed 2 Bosch fuel pumps. As I understand it, Bosch was the OE supplier to Ford. One of the new pumps replaced an Airtex that didn't last 2 years. Forget Motorcarft brand - way to expensive. I think I paid about $70 each for the Bosch pumps on evilBay with free shipping. also bought new strainers and filters.

Bosch in mine too... Don't forget a new strainer (sock filter), it is a must for pumps health.
I used Amazon one (because I have "Prime").

Thank you guys

I have read both of you guy's advice to others in the past & you have been right on! Thanks for the input. Great to have people like you. Does Bosch sell the whole assembly unit complete? And if so what is the ballpark cost? Someone also suggested the Delphi pump any knowledge of that one?

I have a BOSCH and it has been real good, it was 60 bucks with sock and shipping. Carter I believe claims to make the OE Ford pumps. Carter pump will cost about $125.

I have heard that Bosch was the oe maker of the fuel pumps then I was told it is Carter now I don't know who to believe.

Yes I was thinking of editing my post to "claims to manufacture original pumps" lol

I've only replaced the pump (no reason to replace the assembly unless your having a problem with the fuel gauge or (if you have the return-less fuel system system) the pressure regulator. if Bosch does offer the complete assembly I image in would run around $125-$130.

If you buy off eBay, watch out for this one seller that shows a picture of a premium Bosch pump with the full size strainer for a great price, but that's not what he'll send you. Then, if you complain he'll tell you that you didn't read the "fine print" in that the picture he uses is a "representational photo". I ended up throwing the tiny strainer he supplied away and purchasing a full-size one. It was the only time I've ever not been happy with an on-line purchase. It ended up costing me another $20, so not such a great deal after all. I was completely happy with the second Bosch pump I purchased. It came with the jumper wire for converting thin/thick pump terminals (no splicing required) new submersible fuel line and new FI-style fuel clamps.

Has anyone heard of replacing the pump with an AC/Delco fuel pump. A neighborhood mechanic claims they work great & he hasn't had any returns using them because they are compatible

I have replaced two pumps within the last year, one
Bosch and one Carter (assembly). Good service with
both. The Carter was exactly the same as the old
Motorcraft (in an 04 Ranger).

No experience with AC/Delco.

Be sure and replace all the internal hoses inside the
tank with at least an SAE 30R9 rating. Don't use the
more commonly found 30R7. (The rating is printed on
the hose.)

Yea... but I would expect even the junk ones last at least 2 yrs. (so I have been told) so installing 2 within 1 yr. is not a good comparison. Some kits come with the hoses so I will check the writing on them. Thats if they are in the box.

Back