1997 Expo Xlt 5.0 JK Dana 44 SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Expo Xlt 5.0 JK Dana 44 SAS

Hello my name is Jake, im from San Diego and I own a 1997 Explorer 5.0 that has gone through a lot of changes to become what it is now. There's so much custom work on here that I've done...It's gonna take a few posts.

When I got the exploder it was bone stock with no speakers or stereo and had a "bad transmission". It was free though, had a v8, 130k and was Awd so it came home with me. I deep cleaned it for about a month because the interior was a bit of a wreck

full.jpg

The transmission problem turned out to be a transfercase leak and with the 4r70w having an open passageway to the awd tcase it was becoming low and loosing the ability to shift...or the something like that. All I know is a bw4406 swap and 5 quarts of atf solved the problem.
That In addition to a new radiator, water pump, shocks ball joints control arms and bushings, cvs, mustang Carbon fiber clutch pack for the ford 8.8 expedition drive shafts and tail housing conversion for the explorer factory speedo. I tried wiring in a dakota digital signal modifier to get the speedo to work with the different speedometer sensor but that didn't work so the tail housing swap was a must.

full.jpg

It pretty much stayed like this for a year or so other than new wheels and tires and a very boxy rear bumper project. My wife and I survived a snowy flagstaff winter driving the truck and honestly We had so much fun with it in the snow and the mtns on the outside of town.

full.jpg

A year later we were back in San Diego and my friends were starting to go on more difficult trails In their jeeps. I was already at a disadvantage with my lockerless ifs setup and minimal ground clearance so I decided to order the parts to build upper control arms and do a coilover conversion. This was all with the hopes I would be able to fit 33s, more ground clearance and squeeze some more travel without lifting the truck to the sky or adding drop brackets.

full.jpg

I built a front bumper with a winch mount and a Baja Designs Onx light bar on it. Low pro was the goal here.

full.jpg

I added 11" travel fox 2.0s to the rear that were blown and came off an old project. Shafts, seals, and a replacement body were all ordered from polyperformance, homemade extended shackles, a couple of procomp add a leafs, a powertrax lunch box locker, and a few other odds and ends made up the rear.

The front got Fox 2.0 6" Travel coilovers, Fk uniballs and rod ends inside chromoly builders parts from poly. The fabrication on the control arms and shock towers was a little rushed because we were doing the conversion the day before taking it up to John bull/Holcomb creek in big bear, ca.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

More to come!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As you can see above, the bumpstops have been modified with some generic bumpstops from energy suspension and some aluminum blocks for spacers.

I spent the next day in Big Bear CA with some friends on the trails John bull and Holcomb Creek. The crew from Bent Motorsports and Ian from Wheel Every Weekend came along. The truck did great but definitely struggled with traction and ground clearance. No selectable lockers and mediocre limited slip hookup contributed to the struggle but we made it through.

HOWEVER...I did fold a tie rod....that was a bummer but we all know it can happen.
Luckily Ian busted out the handy dandy ready welder and we welded 2 3/8 Allen wrenches two it after straightening it out. I was able to make it off the trail and all the way back to San Diego with no problems after that.

Here's a two part series my friend at Low Water Media made about the build and the trip.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

just saw this thread- nice build!!!!!! been wanting to go to BB for a while now, never found the time! wanted to do that gold mining trail or whatever it was called

Back