1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD

Janelle74

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
I am looking to buy a vehicle & see a very nice looking Ford Explorer- I want it.
This is the ad- the mileage is so high :( but the price is pretty low!?
"- 1997 Ford Explorer limited edition, 4.0L, 205 hp, V6
- Air Cared till August 2013
- Regular maintenance done
- Sunroof, Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Leather Seats, Power Seats, Driver & Passenger airbags, ABS Brakes, 5-Speed Automatic Overdrive, Sony DSX - S100 deck
- @ 270,000 kms, front & rear brakes replaced recently, Walker Exhaust Quiet Flow3 Muffler put in February of this year, no engine problems, runs great."
should I try and get this or run??
any advice is welcome. Its listed for $2000 which is the most I can spend right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Advice: Ask the seller if they have ever done anything with the timing chains in the engine, there are 4 and in that they are very problematic @ that mileage it could be ready to fail. 167,000 Miles.

Windsors03cobra, At what mileage it is better to take care of timing chain? Is it a job that needs special equipments? My 98 EB is approaching to 120K. I need to mark this as a potential task.

I'm in Ontario and that seems a little pricey. Be sure to ask if the trans has had regular oil changes and proof if it's available,since this is a sore area on most ex's. If you feel comfortable with the truck offer him/her $1200 and go from there.Just as an example I bought a 99 sport in November with 129.000 km's for $1200. Good luck!

look under it to see if the inside rockers have holes in them or not to. they normally rust real bad there

Back