1997 ford explorer transmission replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 ford explorer transmission replacement

NOARSEST

Reaction score
City, State
ROME
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 FORD EXPLORER
Hi, my name is Sergio and I own two Ford Explorer. One in the US (manufactured in 1998) and one in Italy (manufactured in 1997.)

Whenever I need fixing, finding a service in the US is not a problem. But when I have a problem with my Explorer in Italy, no one here is familiar with this car. I can only count on the web as a source of information and on a few mechanics who are willing to help me.

Recently, the automatic transmission broke on the 1997 Explorer I have in Italy. I found out that my car mounts a FORD A4LD transmission, and then I found out that this transmission was mounted by the manufacturer only from 1991 to 1994.

I understand that from 1997 to 2010 all Ford Explorer came out of the factory with a FORD 5R55E transmission (with various options: 4x2, 4x4, with or without overdrive drum sensor.)

I know my Explorer is a 4x4 with overdrive drum sensor. This type of transmission can be found in italy for €#2,500 ($ 3,325 US); while I can find it online from a US dealer for $ 750. Quite a difference in price! Even after shipping costs and customs is still convenient to buy the transmission in the US.

So. I am interested in buying the transmission in the US, as I am going to be there for a few months soon.

The information I am seeking, and the reason of my post here, is that I need to be 100% sure I am buying the right transmission for my car.

Does anyone here knows where I should look for codes or ID# to pair the model of my car with a specific transmission?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! I was told this was the best place on the web where I could ask this question.

Sergio

What motor do you have? If its the 4.0 SOHC then yes you need a5r55e with drum sensor, is the $750. One Used?

Back