1997 Lound Clunking Transfer Case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Lound Clunking Transfer Case?

ddaytona1

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport Vermillion
I'm getting a lound clunking in my '97 sport. 178K miles, with a remanufactured transfer case installed at 80Kmiles. The lound clunking sounds like it's coming right under the drivers seat. It occurs frequently/continually between 20 and 30 mph. then over 50 mph a little less frequent.

Reading through some similar threads, I changed the front Drive shaft u-joint and CV joint, and lubricated the slip yoke, changed the U-joint at the front of the rear drive shaft.

I can take the rear drive shaft and at the front U joint move it up and down and detect some play where the drive shaft connects to the transfer case. I initally thought it was a bad u-joint, but after replacing it, the play is stll there

I removed the front drive shaft toatally and still get that clunk at 20 - 30 mph. Is that the shift points?

So,the only thing left is the transfer case. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its your transfer case goin out. i just changed mine and that was the ticket. i spun my rear drive shaft by hand and could hear clicking,so i bought a used transfer case at a junk yard for $50. it started to make caaachunking noise in my rear end so i just swapped trans cases. good luck.

Thanks for the opinion.

How difficult was it to swap your transfer case? I read some threads that you basically disconnect the drive shafts, remove the console to access two bolts, remove the remaining bolts and then slide it off the transmission.

Was it that "easy" ?

Did you still find out where the clunking noise comes from?
Got the same problems after installing a rebuilt tranny. Shop says dont worry, cause shift points are firmer now after updated valvebody.
For my opinion the tranfer case has to much play!?
Switching to 4x4low makes a loud crunching noise, but it works.

thanks

Wolfgang

It was the transfer case. The clunking eventually stopped. When it did, I lost all forward gears and reverse. I replaced it with a remanufactured unit.

My clunking sounds wasnt intermittent like shifting points would be. I was like someone was under the car constantly kicking up under my seat.

I feel this clunk also like it's directly under my seat. It comes always at low speed, braking in front of traffic light.
Or you make speed and abruptly stop accelerating, -> 3 seconds an he gave me this clonk with a little hit. In this moment it feels like someone gave me a soft kick from behind.
So today i spoke again with the mechanic and he told me that the tranny clutches now biting harder. Maybe the complete tolerance of the drive train cause this behaviour.
Will try to catch a good used transfer case and if neccesary a rebuilt kit for it.

thanks

Wolfgang

It could possibly be a lubrication issue with the slip yoke according to some threads in this fourm. Real simple to do too.

Back