1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold- | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold-

I have used a small screw driver set for things like this, just a cheap kit that has tiny tools for odd tasks like this. You likely have something too that would work, but you have to dig around in your odd stuff to see what you have. My friend has lots of old free tools from relatives, he has a broken pick(one tip is broken off) for example that does the job. I reconstructed my 99 at his garage, that's the tool I used the most. But around my small garage I get my tiny screw driver set, I've done a lot of connectors here too with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Earlier today I was able to install the oil line for the "real" oil gauge. It runs straight up the front of the block then turns and goes across the edge of the intake manifold. Then it goes through the firewall and pops out in the console pocket area. It can't be finished until the console is back in place. The wiring has to be finished first. The project is at that point that all of the wiring needs to be back in place before the new "Godzilla" coils and custom brackets go on. I don't want to beat them up or restrict the already limited access.
Late today UPS showed up with the exhaust pipe box full and the 1996 5.8 drivers side exhaust manifold. The wimpy, loopy headers interfere with the coils, in places. The manifold has a plug in it that the hole is too big for the O2 sensor, so I need someone with the correct size drill bit size and an 18mm-1.5 tap this plug pictured below, to be able to thread the O2 sensor in to. Does anyone in the group here have the tools to do such? I can mail it to you in a soft pack.
1996 f150 5.8 driver's side ex manifold.jpg

I finally have a 2020 Godzilla coil wiring diagram and know which pin is which.
A 1999 and 2000 Explorer wiring books on the way to add to the collection and to compare to the Crown Vic way of things. All should match.
I was able to round up a 2020 Godzilla coil wiring diagram to help the cause too. Alot is done, a lot more to do.
2020- 7.3 coil wiring.jpg

@410Fortune I haven't studied anymore yet, about the transmission wiring and solenoids however the odd way that the wiring is done the way the top left O2 sensor wiring is in the main powertrain part of the harness and the other 3 O2 sensors are in the detachable transmission harness has inspired me to tap in to the main harness just below the point where it is fastened to the back of the engine and splice in the top right hand O2 sensor without having to go through the transmission wiring big square connector. That way I can run the engine enough to pull it up on the lift. I hope that when I do this that it won't throw so many transmission fault codes and prevent the transmission from engaging at all. Deleting the two rear O2 sensors will free up 2 wires with pins to use for 2 of the 4 pins/wires to add 4 more coil trigger wire circuits. I'm trying to imagine anymore deletions that would free up anymore. Otherwise a trip to one of the junkyards to chop off a 104 pin connector to get a couple of more pins with short wires will be necessary. I can think of a piece of a deleted ground wire that may make up one more. I will look through the 104 pin charts on the '97MM and the '99CV one more time before short tripping.
Picture below shows a proposed front right o2 sensor tap into the main transmission wiring before it gets down to the connector.
1997mm rt o2 sensor rewire.jpg

You can snag the 02 sensor wires wherever you want!
The pcm/ truck won’t start without seeing neutral safet from the dtrs so you will need to hook those wires up

The pcm/ truck won’t start without seeing neutral safet from the dtrs so you will need to hook those wires up
I guess that I can plug in that trans harness with the DTRS in place and in neutral.
The picture below is of the AFR gauge that will be added to the 3rd O2 sensor that I need the big bung bored and threaded for. I'm hoping that one of you guys have the tools before I purchase a bit and tap big enough for me to do once. They aren't cheap for a set. As much as having a machinist to do and they aren't cheap these days either. I showed this before.
AFRkit.jpg

@410Fortune Hey Jamie, I'm looking at the 1997MM O2 sensor wiring diagram and, in this diagram, it appears that the front two sensors are numbered #1 and #2. On the opposing page, there is diagram showing #3 and #4 which will be eliminated. It also appears that there are two wires per sensor that are unique to each one. That would mean that eliminating the two rear sensors would free up 4 wires/pins that could be reassigned
to the 4 extra coils wires and rearranging the pins on the 104 connector etc. The wire colors going to the 104 pin connector would be from H2OS #3 W/BK, R/LG and H2OS #4 P/LG and T/Y. Does it sound like I've got this right?
1997mm front #1 and #2 o2 sensor diagram.jpg

It does sound correct

The other wires are for the heater circuit

It is cool that you can re assign pins! I would make a spreadsheet to keep track of original and changes

There are 104 pins and only like 86 wires or something so there should already be plenty of open spots you could use also?

I've been practicing pin releasing on the big connector. I assume that the square trans connector would work the same? That's the connector
that I made the OBD2 jumper box out of.
connector pin tools 104 con.jpg

One to release and one to push the connector on the clipped off wires.

I had more trouble with the latches on the transmission wiring connector that I don't know what C# it is. I deleted the rear O2 wiring.
Tonight at home, having this plugged into the main harness will make it a lot easier to pick those 8 wires out of the main harness. 4 will get
rerouted and reassigned. The 4 (2 and 2) heater wires will get deleted.
1997mm rear o2 sensors delete.jpg

I was able to get the water pump on today and I need one more long bolt for it. I have my water pump holder working. Grace under pressure.
Like an egg in a "C" clamp. I don't have it very tight but it really helped to hold it during the gluing.
1997mmwaterpump holder.jpg

I thought that I was going to be able to see which way that the 2 wire camshaft position sensor gets wired however the '98 parts truck
has a 3 wire sensor. I need to see which wire is which on a two wire. The replacement has a black and a white wire. The wiring harness
has a gray/red and blue/orange.
1997mmcam pos sen.jpg

Here is a a shot showing the oil line routing.
1997mm oil line routing.jpg

The gauge will have to be hooked up at the very end of the console installation. I drilled a 7/16" hole in the back of the pocket.
1997mm console & oil gauge 02.jpg

I took a 10 minute walking break today. Near my 65 fastback sits a solid '76 F150 cab. We have a 2003 Crown Vic cop car chassis to go under it.
1976cvf150 cab.jpg

After supper, I got back into the powertrain harness modifications. It turns out that it was a very good idea that I removed the rear O2 wiring, working from the O2 sensors back upward. I only had to pull the wires out up to the splits at the intake. That is to the left and right engine wiring branch. The O2 wires are more than long enough to power coils 3, 4, 7, and 8. I clipped the orange wires and blue with orange stripe wires at their junction with the RH upper O2 sensor. I branched it out below there to go to the RH sensor instead of going through the transmission connector.
The only reason that I am moving this connector is so I can reach it from under the truck, similar to the left front side and when I install the new RH bung, it will be positioned such that the O2 sensor can be removed and replaced from the bottom of the trunk and hopefully never having to open the access panel on the hump under the console.
My label maker ran out of tape just as I finished the main harness labelling. I still have ~29 wires, of the 86 that Jamie mentioned, to the PCM connector that need labeled and rearranged. Regardless of the coil wire colors, I will label them the "99CV colors at the coils and at the PCM. I'm using materials from this harness almost entirely except the cam position sensor connector.
I'm needing to know which wire is which on the 2-wire camshaft position sensor connector.
camshaft position sensor connector.jpg

Below is the harness as of tonight. The O2 wires are removed, and I am taped back up to the left branch near #8 fuel injector.
The coil wire connectors will be located pretty much at the fuel injector connectors.
The harness may appear as a jumble at this point but mainly it is time to stop again and clean up some. I'm right at the point where there is
a lot of soldering to do. CPS, swap 8 injector connectors and finish wiring in and crimp on the $10- each "Godzilla" 7.3 connectors.
How many times did I say connectors?
1997mm powetrain harness 02.jpg

So you need the pinout for a 2 wire cam sensor and it sounds like you have everything else sorted!

Me likey the 65 fastback oooooh la la rusty or not the early fastbacks best looking pony of all time

8 times you said connector or connectors

I changed the name a bit since I didn't pull the heads and do a light refresh on them.
My wife is the only person in the world that I know of that says Fastbacks are ugly. o_O
The CPS con is the only thing, yep. I'm forgetting about the transmission harness that needs wired as a 2000.
Also, there is the pin swapping at the PCM to be done, which will be time consuming but doable.
Maybe this pic is better after cleaning up the table a bit. The PCM con, C-115 and transmission sections are laying in the middle of the table.
You can see the driver's side branch at the right and passenger side at the left of the table. Next I will sit next to the driver's side branch at the right of the table and finish it first.
I have moved my chair around the table as needed and have even picked up the table and moved it 90 or 180. If you were going to mod these harnesses on a regular basis, a big round dinner type table with a lazy Susan mounted to the leg and table would work out great for wiring. You could twist the table to the position that you need.
1997mm powetrain harness 03.jpg

More on this tonight when I'm doing home work. Working from home.
The wife has been real understanding about using 1/3 of the living room to do this,
since she said/says she married me so that I could work on her Explorer.

@97Sandbox The short filter adapter looked like this before removing the heat exchanger. I unscewed the heat exchanger from the short adapter then i screwed in a 3/4"x3/4" fitting to fit the Fl1A and FL-299 filters. I'm only aware of 1997 having the heat exchanger. Almost two years back, someone here showed one off of a 4.0 but I'm not sure if it can be made to work. Here is a pic of a complete one that I found on Ebay.
View attachment 450040
Can anyone tell me if one these connector pin release tools will work on the 104 pin connector?

View attachment 450041
The 86-92 2.9 in the ranger and the 01-05 sport trac have a short filter adapter. There maybe other years of engines.

Thanks. That will help. Whenever your near a 5.0 with the two wire instead of 3, click a pic so that I can see where the G/R and Bl/Or wires go. Is it odd that my '98 has the 3 wire cam pos sensor?

Not odd no it likely also has return fuel

I’ll snap a pic now as I am sitting in front of a 4.0 with a 3 wire

Should be same wiring config as v8 3 wire

C9B85606-3DFE-4456-879E-036DA97C0481.jpeg

44C7829B-69C5-41E2-9B8C-77C21F0EAEF4.jpeg

Another book came today. 2000 Explorer wiring diagrams. I wanted to be able to compare mainly the sensors and their wiring using a 1997 Mountaineer book, a 1999 Crown Victoria book and a 2000 Explorer book. Checking wire colors and wire numbers. Confirming that everything is going to match up properly.
The only difference that I have found so far is the 1997 5.0 had a 3 wire camshaft position sensor and mid 1998 to 2001 had the 2 wire arrangement. Something about Hall effect vs VR? Is Variable Resistance the 2 wire pick-up? Also the 1999 Crown Vic has the two (2) wire.
ADDED: I will be using the 1999 Crown Vic PCM which is programmed for individual 8 coil/-on-plugs.
2000 explorer wiring book.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another book came today. 2000 Explorer wiring diagrams. I wanted to be able to compare mainly the sensors and their wiring using a 1997 Mountaineer book, a 1999 Crown Victoria book and a 2000 Explorer book. Checking wire colors and wire numbers. Confirming that everything is going to match up properly.
The only difference that I have found so far is the 1997 5.0 had a 3 wire camshaft position sensor and mid 1998 to 2001 had the 2 wire arrangement. Something about Hall effect vs VR? Is Variable Resistance the 2 wire pick-up? Also the 1999 Crown Vic has the two (2) wire.
ADDED: I will be using the 1999 Crown Vic PCM which is programmed for individual 8 coil/-on-plugs.
View attachment 450161

All 1998 Fords have the return fuel system, and the three wire connector on the cam synch. The returnless-one line fuel system began with the 1999 Fords, not in the 1998 model year.

Back