1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold- | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 MM 5.0 TC & WP refresh & ignition coil-near-plug conversion-Temporarily on hold-

@MAS Tequila Wednesday Mas Tequila gave the serpentine belt #865K6 and last night I was able to find 2 vehicles, and there are more, that use this size belt. I wasn't finding a good price at one of the big 3, AZ, Adv or Ory. After I found that this belt size is used on these 2 vehicles I ordered three. Two for the Mountaineer and one for the '91 "Ol' Red". The application is 1991 Cadillac Seville, and the other is 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5 DOHC. If you need one Dayco brand is $12.50 each. Auto Z wanted ~ $32.- for their store brand.
EDITED June 11th, 2022: I ended up using one belt on the '92 so that just leaves one for the MM and one for the '91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was on my 2.9 ranger. I wonder if it would work?

20220205_180057.jpg

You can take the oil cooler off and use a threaded adapter to screw a filter onto the original housing. Basically makes it like a short 99-01 housing.

@Josh P I wondered that myself and if it would fit the 5.0 threads.
@boominXplorer, I wondered that too. I'll save it off the Mountaineer and put it with my parts that can be used to put a 5.0 in my '91 4x4 Explorer.
I have the remote filter kit on the way. I also have Felpro timing cover gasket set, timing chain and gears, water pump, alternator and the 865K6 belt/s on the way. I don't think that I have missed any front of the engine parts. They should be here Tuesday. Next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the high temp here will be 57, 57, 57. Perfect working temperature.
Thanks guys!

Lucky you, enjoy that mild weather. Here the weather keeps forecasting decent temps around 50 or so, but days from now. The actual temps keep ending up lower by 5-10 degrees, so today hit 37 maybe, but three days ago that said 46 I think it was. When the sun comes out, jump outside and work on the car or house etc. Ignore the weather man, he's wrong 99% of the time and he never gets fired for it.

I can't function well in the cold. I'll be driving through Wyoming and see a mailman wearing the blue shorts when it is 10 degrees out. In phoenix when the temps reach 60 everyone is layered up with a heavy snow jacket on.

No comment.

@Josh P On you 2.9 oil filter adapter do you know what size threads there are to screw into the engine block?
@boominXplorer That was a great tip about removing the cooler part of the angled oil filter adapter. I think it was a 7/16" allen to remove the through bolt. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it looks like a place to screw a filter on once the square cooler part is removed. I figured out how to make an FL1A filter screw onto it. That makes me want to go back to the JY where the '98 5.0 Ex is and remove that oil filter adapter for a future 5.0 project.
I overlooked ordering a filter screen for the intake PCV hole. I had started out looking for a 3 piece kit, then got distracted. Screen, grommet and PCV valve. I have found this. Screen, valve and grommet I'm still looking for cheaper.
Parts were ordered on the 3rd and 4th from 3 different places and the first two parts showed up on the weekend. More are arriving today.
Question about O rings for the filter adaptors. I see there have been some questions about them on this forum. Any solid information about them?

The orings that mount to the block are different between the earlier model with oil cooler vs 99-01 without oil cooler. They are pretty difficult to obtain last I looked.

The threads look identical on the nipple and the bolt, I believe it is 3/4 16, I used a FL1A filter on this adapter. I kept that adapter to use on my Jeep. I use a 2 quart filter and if I spin it on dry the engine will make a knocking sound like a collapsed lifter before the oil pressure rises. Trying to spin a filter on sideways with oil in it makes a mess.

Yes, that is the filter. I'll post a picture later when I'm home

The FL-299 will cross reference with the napa gold 1773.

20220210_131206.jpg

97mmspacer.jpg

97oildap2.JPG

97mm0210-1.JPG

97mm0210-2.JPG

97mm9219-3.JPG

97mm0210-4.JPG

97mm0210-5.JPG

97mmoiladaptmod.jpg

92a4ld01.JPG

92a4ld02.JPG

97mm0210-6.JPG

There's a good spot for mounting a filter just behind the bumper bracket, on the radiator support where the body mount is. I have an extra filter for my trans, but you can use either side.

trans filter mount 1.JPG

Looking good!
I cannot say I have used a white intake spacer before what’s it made from?

Thanks @410Fortune Jamie.
I hope that it is made of Delrin. It is something American made. I've never seen anything that is cut by waterjet cutting but that was my first thought when I saw it. I hope that it holds up.
I thought about the spacer and the internal heat riser and internal EGR and have decided that hot gases coming out of the center head port up through the intake bumping the spacer plate, which doesn't have an EGR hole, couldn't be a good thing for the spacer plate.
97mmspacer.jpg

There is no center, internal EGR hole in spacer plate pictured above.
I don't have the lower manifold removed yet and can't find a picture of one online, so I don't know if there is just one passage way or two for the EGR gases. Because a hot intake is not necessarily the best thing for the fuel air mix, growing up we were always taught cooler is better, I want to remove the lower intake and from the bottom weld up the heat riser/EGR hole or tap and plug it. Whichever way is better and cost effective. So I would be able to delete the clunky EGR valve off of the back of the 90 degree elbow between the throttle body and upper plenum. Now I know and have heard before that exhaust gas recirculation is suppose to make the engine run cooler but the fact that dirty azz exhaust gases are getting mixed in with the expensive high grade fuel mixed with cool air coming through the filter system, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And I'm not trying to meet some government mandated EPA standard. Sorry California, but y'all have too.

A few more parts showed up over the weekend and Monday. Mostly small stuff.
101_0182.JPG

Pictured below is the oil adapter with the heat exchanger removed and fitting installed to accept FL1A
101_0183.JPG

Question for smart phone users. As I did in post #37, would it make any difference if I reduce the size of the pictures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question for smart phone users. As I did in post #37, would it make any difference if I reduce the size of the pictures?
All the pictures posted fit to screen on my phone. I can't tell by scrolling if any are a different size.

Back