1997 ranger tires rims question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 ranger tires rims question

Ok, so i have a 97 ranger xlt 4x4. My stock tire size is 265/75/15. I have been running 31x10.5's on some jeep 15x8 rims, i had to toss the plastic valence and trim my front bumper, and had no problems. I just got a set of 32x11.5 tires, only 2 have rims, and i think they are 15x10 rims, with those on my front they rub when turning on the back outside part of the wheel well. My question is if i put the 32x11.5 tires on either my 15x8 rims or my stock 15x7 rims (which i still have), will this take care of the rubbing or make it worse? I looked around on the forum and cant seem to find the answer to this so if anyone can help me out id appreciate it!

With 32's, I think you'll be needing some type of lift, probably about 3" or more. They will work well in your 15x8's.

Rim width is only one factor, the backspacing is more important. I run 33x12.50's on 15x8 rims with 3.75"BS but I still get some rubbing on the radius arm, mostly at full lock left.

I think stock ford wheels have 4.5"BS (Rim edge to mounting flange). You can get wheel spacers to push your rims out more too.

Well i just had the tires mounted and balanced today, and they look good. I think the backspacing on these rims is 4". They still rub a bit but only on the back outer edge of the wheel well still (just that outer corner, dosnt hit anywhere else). I trimmed it a bit a few hours ago, and its better but still get a little rub. I think i'll try to lift my front end 1-2", i got a coil compressor awhile ago, but when i took it out today it dosnt fit my coils... lame, so i'll take that back to schucks. I have these cheap rubber spacer to put between my coils that im goin to try, and if they dont work so well i'll try and do the f150 coil seats, thought when i look up the prices they all say $20 for one side and $70 for the other... im lookin to maybe get a used set.

the rubber coil spacers that go between the coils on your spring will probably fall out when your front flexes from side to side. just a thought, happy hunting

Back