20 inch rims.. Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20 inch rims.. Question

Just a quick question about a good tire size, for some after-market rims for my 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer. I'm interested in putting some 20's on the Explorer, but I don't want any rubbing issues. What would be a good size tire that would still put some space between my rims and the road? I'm also interested in how wide the tires should be.. Maybe a 265-275/45-50/20? All feedback appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it really won't slow you down all that much though either- unless you are racing someone with stockers on the same car or it's the day you swapped to them you'll never notice.

you will see a decrease in the gas mileage though.

I know our escape still puts LENGTHs on a stock escape despite the "heavy" wheels/tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they will oook fine but i wouldnt look forward to good gearing and u wioll have a hard time spinnin em

gearing?

not significantly changed at all with these sizes

with my 265/35/20s on the other hand...

I have a 91 Ford Explorer Eddie Baurer, just bought some 20 inch wheels from a buddy and they came with 4 Goodyear Eagle LS 275/55/20 tires already on them. So far i have only mounted 1 tire on the front of the vehicle to check the clearance of the tire in the wheel well. they fit pretty good and look very good as well, however i was unable to turn the wheel to see if they would rub. I have a feeling they will rub when I turn the wheel fully, and these tires are old from 2003 and one of them has sidewall damage so i will be replacing them anyways. I'm not sure if I should stay with 275s and just go lower profile or move down to a 265 or 255. ... the 255 is going to leave a large amount of space in the wheel well and i dont think it will look too good. So i'll prob end up going with a thinner 275 or the smaller 265. Any good advice would be helpful, i just want to make sure the tires dont rub when i turn and theres not too much space in the wheel well, I want a good meaty tire that will not rub. I have pictures of the wheel/tire installed on the truck but not sure how to upload them. I guess u have to link the pic from somewhere else??

Heres a photo of the 275/55/20 tire installed, as u can see it fits and looks very good I might add, however i'm sure the front tires will rub when I turn the wheel they are pretty wide tires

20inchwheel.jpg

Ok I have managed to find out the wheel make and model shown above. They are Ultra Platinum Snyper wheels, retail for about $230 a piece. I got a really good deal on these wheels, they came with old GoodYear Eagle LS tires from 2003. The tires are too old to safely ride on in my opinion and I'm trying to replace them. Just wondering if I should stay at 275/55 on the tire sizes or go down a notch to make sure they dont rub in the front when i turn, if anybody has any experience with tire sizes like this please reply. Thanks

ok i have managed to find out the wheel make and model shown above. They are ultra platinum snyper wheels, retail for about $230 a piece. I got a really good deal on these wheels, they came with old goodyear eagle ls tires from 2003. The tires are too old to safely ride on in my opinion and i'm trying to replace them. Just wondering if i should stay at 275/55 on the tire sizes or go down a notch to make sure they dont rub in the front when i turn, if anybody has any experience with tire sizes like this please reply. Thanks
what tire size did you go with? I want to put 275/55/20 on my 95 ex but worried about rubbin. How did yours work out?

what tire size did you go with? I want to put 275/55/20 on my 95 ex but worried about rubbin. How did yours work out?

Pitbull I still haven't gotten new tires, I never put these (in the picture) on because they are very old, from 2003 and I dont think riding on them would be very safe, the rubber would probably explode. My girl has a 2008 ford escape with 20s and her tire size is 255/45/20 and that seems to be a very good fit. I may go with that size for my explorer, the cheapest I could find that size was about $130 a tire. Not even sure if I want to invest that money for wheels and tires for my 91 ford explorer, might end up just selling the 20s, I have other things I have to fix that are mechanical. Let me know how yours turned out.

Back