• Register Today It's free!

1997 vs. 2002 Explorer?

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I have a rare '97 Explorer 4Dr 4x4 XL with the 5spd manual with 186,000 miles. She has served me well through the years, but recently the rust in the door jams and in the aft panels has reached terminal cancer status. I have been thinking of "upgrading" to a 2002 Explorer 4DR 4x4 with the 5spd manual (last year for the manual in the Explorer 4dr) if I can find one, but I really hate to see the old girl go.

Any comments on the general reliability of a '97 vs. '02 Explorer 4x4 with the manual tranny? Is there much difference in 4x4 ability in the snow? I dont care about ride quality, but any general opinions between the two? Any info is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

`02 had a MT?....Never seen one....interesting!

Ryan

`02 had a MT?....Never seen one....interesting!

Ryan

I've never ever seen one with my own eyes...but I have heard of them. I would love to see one though.

I saw one on craigslist one day and had to do a double take of it, they came with the M5OD-R1HD the same transmission as any of the earlier ones with the soch. I like the 02 that I had the only thing that sucked about it was the auto transmission and its off road prowess sucked but in the snow on the streets it was a monster. The ohc's were already fixed with the better timing chain tensioners so you should be set with the 5spd in it.

Go for it! My '99 w/5spd. was a great performing, easy-shifting, most reliable Explorer. No let-down like the failed 4R55E in the '96.........imp

Back