• Register Today It's free!

4WD intermittent lights?

schlepper65

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeville, Minnesota USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL
I have a '97 Explorer XL 4dr 4x4 manual tranny with 190,000 miles, and just recently on the instrument panel the "4WD" and "4WD LO" lights have come on intermittently even though I dont have 4WD selected. They will come on every few minutes or so, flash 3 or 4 times, and then go out. It doesnt matter what speed I am at, or if I am coasting or decelerating. Any ideas what is causing this? It doesnt appear that the 4WD is actually engaging, though its impossible to know for sure. I am sure its some electronics module or something, but any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Mine does that once or twice a year.
The way I fix it is to disconnect the battery cable, go underneath and disconnect the trasnsfer case wire connector, and clean the male/female pins with some spray cleaner like "DeOxit".
Reconnect the battery and it should be OK.
If not, you have a possible transfer case malfunction.

I went through pure Hell with my 96 after having the doors open and running down the battery. Be sure the battery is charged up, check all fuses and relays. Even if battery voltage is 13.6-14.2(?), does not mean there is sufficient amperage available for all the electronics to function properly. Just my experience.

Back