1997 with 95 ecu? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 with 95 ecu?

97 Expy 302

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Working on the engine to get all the smog gear working right and I started wondering if an earlier ecu from an obd 1 explorer would work and would it allow me to cut out a lot of the extra smog gear in my explorer. Any experience or advice? I found the older computers were much cheaper than the 89-93 mustang computers.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know but wouldn't the cost of a used one at a junk yard be pretty close to the same for either generation?

OBD1 is 60 pin, and the connectors are 2 wire.

OBDII is 120 pin and most connectors are 3 wire.

You would have to not only change out all the wire harness, but also some engine parts, some modules, gauge cluster, ignition system, fuel delivery system, ABS/speedo system, and then there is the transmission to deal with.

So I would say no, won't work.

Got it. I was hoping for something easier but it looks like I need to get the stock smog gear replaced and working. Thanks

I doubt this would work. I've seen ECU differences w/in the same model year. Besides, why go backwards to ODB I even if it would be plug-and-play.

Back