1997 XLT hatch sprung | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 XLT hatch sprung

Hello all,
My hatch has a gap at the top, about 2-3". Body shop said it looked like the wrong hinges or these were installed backwards and estimated $292 or less if the hinges didn't have to be replaced. After looking into the problem the left hinge [where it's mounted in the hatch] was rusted too badly and I needed a new hatch and hinges. $1500. :help: come on really?
So here I am. I certainly need another solution. It's just a beater but I can't have all that exposure to the weather. Otherwise it functions, opens, locks, wiper and defroster don't but that's later. No one has run across this OR HOW TO REPAIR it !?

(lost photos)

I'm not sure if these are the correct hinges but it seems to me the hatch should be repairable. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might consider replacing the whole hatch and hinges with used.

The pick-a-part yards I go to charge $70 plus $8 core charge for "Hatch with glass". Maybe dig on Craigslist also.

You might consider replacing the whole hatch and hinges with used.

The pick-a-part yards I go to charge $70 plus $8 core charge for "Hatch with glass".

Thanks for the reply, toypaseo. I'll start checking venders.
jumping-for-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

What country was that in? The cheapest I've seen so far is $350 and can't ask about hinges. :confused:

E-bay used to have a "ask seller a question. No more?

What country was that in? The cheapest I've seen so far is $350 and can't ask about hinges. :confused:

US. Southern WY, and northern CO. Pick-a-part yards around here have way lower prices then places that sell used parts. You have to go remove the parts yourself, your tools, your time. A hatch around me, from a places that sell used parts, looks to be $200-$350. Craigslist usually has people parting Explorers also.

E-bay used to have a "ask seller a question. No more?

Scroll to the bottom of the auction page. "Ask a question" is down there.

In one of the pick-a-part yard I go to, I would leave the hinges on it. They would just charge me for the hatch. I bought a door from them, charged me $70 plus $10 core, and all I removed was the interior door panel and outside mirror. I got the glass, regulator, hinges, and the outside door handle, for no charge.

US. Southern WY, and northern CO. Pick-a-part yards around here have way lower prices then places that sell used parts. You have to go remove the parts yourself, your tools, your time. A hatch around me, from a places that sell used parts, looks to be $200-$350. Craigslist usually has people parting Explorers also.

Scroll to the bottom of the auction page. "Ask a question" is down there.
Very bad at scrolling. $4-5-600 isn't worth it. Only paid $600 and 250 shipping. Didn't realize it had so much wrong with it. I'll just stuff the gap with some foam and look for another car next year.
Thanks for helping.

In one of the pick-a-part yard I go to, I would leave the hinges on it. They would just charge me for the hatch. I bought a door from them, charged me $70 plus $10 core, and all I removed was the interior door panel and outside mirror. I got the glass, regulator, hinges, and the outside door handle, for no charge.
All I can find are resellers for $400 pluss. The $600 0ne was free shipping.
hollanderparts is temping. Asking about shipping now. Wonder what it would cost to drive to Florida? LOL Only $100. for the hatch.

I can't tell you how often I've been there. They charged me $3 to go get a hubcap. There aren't any-anywhere. None. They knew that. They really suck but it does say they have a hatch for $55.99 and core charge of $4.99. I checked it out an hour ago and nothing until I searched for "Hatch" instead of doors,rear hatch, all kinds of sh**. You went above and beyond, my friend, thanks. This time I'll call 1st instead of driving 50 miles, paying $3 and not seeing an Explorer. This is great! Thanks man, I'll let you know what happens. The hatch thats $350 on e-bay I bid $65 just to piss him off. Now there's a buy now price listed.

Just noticed it' says "car type". Oh well, back at it.

Sorry so late.
Life gets in the way from time to time.

Repairing that is possible but the skill level involved I can assume is beyond your level. ( otherwise this thread would not exist. )

You need a new lift gate. You don't need hinges. If the gate comes with hinges, I would stick with the ones on the vehicle now.
Let me know if I can help any further...

I counted fifteen 95-97 Explorer in their inventory. If it's anything like the two pick-a-part yards I go to, hatches are not something typically pulled. Most are intact, and most are undamaged accident-wise.

When I lived in CO, it was around 31 miles to the closest one. I would make the trip just for something to do. Always a interesting time walking inside the yard. Now that I live in WY, closest one is 94 miles, and the other one is 49 miles past that.

I counted fifteen 95-97 Explorer in their inventory. If it's anything like the two pick-a-part yards I go to, hatches are not something typically pulled. Most are intact, and most are undamaged accident-wise.

When I lived in CO, it was around 31 miles to the closest one. I would make the trip just for something to do. Always a interesting time walking inside the yard. Now that I live in WY, closest one is 94 miles, and the other one is 49 miles past that.
Funny, same here. Allways something to look at.
Sorry so late.
Life gets in the way from time to time.

Repairing that is possible but the skill level involved I can assume is beyond your level. ( otherwise this thread would not exist. )

You need a new lift gate. You don't need hinges. If the gate comes with hinges, I would stick with the ones on the vehicle now.
Let me know if I can help any further...

Actually I used to work as a mechanic many years ago.(now my jaw drops looking under the hood). Most of my tools were stolen when we moved here but I have enough to do the job of replacement. Torch, welder, taps, etc. gone. Age struck its ugly head in, also. I'm concerned about the weight of the gate.I'm sure I can get help there.

If the gate comes with hinges, I would stick with the ones on the vehicle now.]

To me, it looks like they are the culprit holding the gate out away from the body. I'll take the ones from P&P just in case.
You're all being EXTREMELY helpful. Don't retire, very boring. I've had 3 knee replacements so a lot of this limits me.
Looking forward to it. P&P is opem at 8am 7 days. Will check tomorrow.

Funny, same here. Allways something to look at.

Actually I used to work as a mechanic many years ago.(now my jaw drops looking under the hood). Most of my tools were stolen when we moved here but I have enough to do the job of replacement. Torch, welder, taps, etc. gone. Age struck its ugly head in, also. I'm concerned about the weight of the gate.I'm sure I can get help there.
To me, it looks like they are the culprit holding the gate out away from the body. I'll take the ones from P&P just in case.
You're all being EXTREMELY helpful. Don't retire, very boring. I've had 3 knee replacements so a lot of this limits me.

I counted fifteen 95-97 Explorer in their inventory.

Where are you looking? Colorado?

I checked P&P within 250 miles and all say "0" Explorers. They're on the list but don't seem to have any when you check.

Bad habit of mine. Not reading everything. When I got to the picture page it said "No" in "yard now". That's referred to parts pullers, not the car.
smiley-face-swearing.gif

In the second photo I see an intact hinge and a gate that is rotted to the point of having no support. The gate is being held away from the body due to the shock pushing up on the gate. Betcha' a nickel if you remove the shocks, the gate will settle down.
In order to access the hinge to the body the headliner needs to come out and massive amounts of seam sealer need to be removed. After that you will have twice the alignment issues to fight. If you do just the hinges to the left gate you will have less work over all, fewer adjustment issues, and less likelihood of a future leak.

How the heck does that upper bolt come out. (that's when I fell trying to look at it)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

]How the heck does that upper bolt come out. (that's when I fell trying to look at it

This porton looks longer, but I'll try the removal of the strut 1st

Back