1997 XLT hatch sprung | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 XLT hatch sprung

Hello all,
My hatch has a gap at the top, about 2-3". Body shop said it looked like the wrong hinges or these were installed backwards and estimated $292 or less if the hinges didn't have to be replaced. After looking into the problem the left hinge [where it's mounted in the hatch] was rusted too badly and I needed a new hatch and hinges. $1500. :help: come on really?
So here I am. I certainly need another solution. It's just a beater but I can't have all that exposure to the weather. Otherwise it functions, opens, locks, wiper and defroster don't but that's later. No one has run across this OR HOW TO REPAIR it !?

(lost photos)

I'm not sure if these are the correct hinges but it seems to me the hatch should be repairable. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fell off the roof of the car so you might have a break here. LOL (or me-hard to walk)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It goes through the roof of the vehicle.

I must sound like an idiot but I have a limited supply of mm tools. Are you saying it just slips in there for positioning? A little hard to get around right now to look at but the strut 1st. Then back to P&P better equipped. When I took the bolts off the right side, it didn't seem to be unmanageable.Propped with a tire.

Once again, in the soup. I fill I fill out "Tracker Form" and nothing. It worked. Reboot.

Bad habit of mine. Not reading everything. When I got to the picture page it said "No" in "yard now". That's referred to parts pullers, not the car.
When I get to the "Traker" page, it either just sits or won't load. Maybe just busy.

This link should just show you all the Explorers in inventory at Sparks, http://www.picknpull.com/check_inve...d&Model=Explorer&Distance=25000&LocationID=70
Yes , absolutely/
What I what I did was search on click on "ROW 52" which showed the car and couldn't and was trying to do that with "Tracker". Apparently that's for someone wanting to get the part you, then -yadayada.

I've been told by a neighbor that the top bolts are for alignment and the bottom ones would be in and out, accessed from under the headliner. I felt no slot when I tried to look from above. That's when I fell and had to stop.Does that sound feasible? I don't see or feel any slots in the bottom. Like the image, just holes.
Seriously thinking about just cutting off the hinge and re-welding it.

#1 is from Ford #2 from-elsewhere. I would give it a shot but at $49 pop it be a costly error. Me thinks a visit back to P&P is ib order.Just have to get better tools. (gee--I hate doing that) [:laugh:

I've found several hinge
Yes , absolutely/
What I what I did was search on click on "ROW 52" which showed the car and couldn't and was trying to do that with "Tracker". Apparently that's for someone wanting to get the part you, then -yadayada.

I've been told by a neighbor that the top bolts are for alignment and the bottom ones would be in and out, accessed from under the headliner. I felt no slot when I tried to look from above. That's when I fell and had to stop.Does that sound feasible? I don't see or feel any slots in the bottom. Like the image, just holes.
Seriously thinking about just cutting off the hinge and re-welding it.

#1 is from Ford #2 from-elsewhere. I would give it a shot but at $49 pop it be a costly error. Me thinks a visit back to P&P is ib order.Just have to get better tools. (gee--I hate doing that) [:laugh:
I have found several hinges. Are there more than one style? Are there more than one style? Does it it look like this and possible to R&R?

I have not looked at one of those hinges in quite some time. It looks good to me though. You will be able to hold both of them in your hand at the same time and compare.

I have not looked at one of those hinges in quite some time. It looks good to me though. You will be able to hold both of them in your hand at the same time and compare.
Yes. I believe they're the correct ones.I disconnected the left strut=no change. The gate only goes up half way. I've got bumps on my head to prove it. Made me wonder if one strut would still hold it away. {and on the opposite side.} Worth trying, I guess.

skoville, Let us know if that fixed the gap. I have the same problem on a 98 limited. I have some garage door foam weather stripping around it that helps some.

rschneider32
I will if the weather would co-operate. We're in the middle of a storm right now. (Reno area) I did try pulling the left one which didn't have any effect that I noticed. Just concerned about it ending up on the ground.:eek:

skoville, Let us know if that fixed the gap. I have the same problem on a 98 limited. I have some garage door foam weather stripping around it that helps some.
Well, it was worth a try. Taking both struts off didn't do a thing. Time to stuff it like you did until the weather gets better. I really can't see any reason for it being held out unless the gate is just warped now at the top.
Keep in touch if you have any luck on yours.

Back