• Register Today It's free!

1998 5.0 ticking noise under load

idoticsoigpa

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
This is on a 1998 5.0 AWD with 113,000 miles. I have been reading a lot here about this common problem. Many people have found various causes for their ticking noise that resembles an exhaust leak. My ticking noise would come and go, not related to engine temperature. I have looked all over for signs of an exhaust leak, even taking the heat sheilds off the passenger side exhaust manifold so I could get a good look at it. Everything looks good including the EGR tube. I have replaced the plugs with Motorcraft Platinums and the spark plug wires with Bosch from AutoZone because this has fixed this problem for some people. I took it in to a Ford dealer for various things including a check engine light on, code P0401 insufficient EGR flow. They replaced the Electronic Vacuum Regulator that regulates the EGR valve and that took care of the P0401 code. After that, the ticking sound was louder, and the more throttle I gave it, the ticking sound would get louder and lower in pitch. On a hunch, I disconnected the EVR from the EGR valve, plugged the vacuum line from the EVR and the vacuum connection into the EGR valve. The noise went about 98% away. The check engine light has not come on, but I expect it to if I leave it this way. Could the noise be coming from the EGR valve? It is the original EGR valve. Thanks for opinions.

that is where mine is ticking from. and sometimes when it warms up the noise goes away. and other times when the motor is hot and your restart it the noise comes back.

just had the truck inspected and emmissiom test done on it and it passed with out any issues.

so I'm not worried about a little ticking sound coming from the egr valve

Back