• Register Today It's free!

2000 V8 5.0 ticking noise?

RAF

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Im getting a weird ticking noise from my engine. At first I thought it was an exhaust leak but after checking the exhaust/headers front to back there is zero leaks. I can hear the noise more when driving on the hwy while pushing the gas, sounds like it might be coming more from the drivers side but Im not sure

Could it be a lifter or..........?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might sound wierd.

Check your spark plugs, one might be lose. I had issues with my spark plugs backing out, problem was fixed.

The factory manifolds are known to crack and are hard to tell. The gaskets also go pretty quick compared to most vehicles. I would start with new gaskets and inspect the manifolds off the truck. Just start with the side you think the noise is coming from.

Check your spark plugs, one might be lose. I had issues with my spark plugs backing out, problem was fixed.

good possibility, will check tomorrow, thanks!

The factory manifolds are known to crack and are hard to tell. The gaskets also go pretty quick compared to most vehicles. I would start with new gaskets and inspect the manifolds off the truck. Just start with the side you think the noise is coming from.

I bought the truck about a month ago and one of the first things I checked was the exhaust manifolds for leaks because they were replaced and re gasketed recently before I bought the truck, everything is good.
The EGR pipe and EGR valve was replaced at the same time.
Also the bill he gave me proving the work says 4 spark plugs were replaced, Im guessing the ones on the passenger side

I had a problem with mine doing the same thing and it turned out to be the manifold had a hairline crack in it. Just gave me a good reason to put Torque Monsters on.

I also have the ticking noise on mine. I only get the noise when its cold. Once it warms up it tends to go away. Noise seems to correspond to the oil warming up. Also does it less as the RPM's go up. I am pretty sure I have a lifter noise.

Gonna try a different weight oil on my next oil change(currently Mobil 1 5w-20) and run some seafoam in the crankcase beforehand.

Pick up a mechanics stethescope. You can get them at Harbor freight for less than $5. Might help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

I also have the ticking noise on mine. I only get the noise when its cold. Once it warms up it tends to go away. Noise seems to correspond to the oil warming up. Also does it less as the RPM's go up. I am pretty sure I have a lifter noise.

Gonna try a different weight oil on my next oil change(currently Mobil 1 5w-20) and run some seafoam in the crankcase beforehand.

Pick up a mechanics stethescope. You can get them at Harbor freight for less than $5. Might help you pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

I have half can of seafoam left, I'll try it. Today I put a can this stuff in, I think its similar to seafoam

http://www.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--locale_en__productId_3295979.html
after putting it in and driving around for half hour, no difference. Im begining to think its more of an exhaust leak than sticky valve because I dont hear it much at idle, only under load.

Also I put in a tank of 94 octane Sunoco fuel and its the same, so its not pinging.

I think I found a fix tho, Im going to put a flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber muffler on it and that should be louder than the quiet tick.

While Im at it Im going to check the only part of the exhaust I havnt checked yet and thats see if there is a pin hole leak at the weld on one of the cars (I checked if the cats are rotted or broken inside last week and there all fine) just gatta see if theres a pinhole leak on the wels inside the sheild

any ideas what else it can be? After searching on this forum I think someone said they had a similar issue and changing the dpfe sensor fixed it.
Is it possible a DPFE sensor could do this?

I dont have any check engine light

Mine does the same thing and it is the exhaust manifolds that are leaking. They have few super small cracks that let it leak and when it warms up the sound goes away for the most part just haven't had the time to pull them and weld them.

Just got in the house from checking the exhaust/manifolds

the owner before me wasnt lying, the manifolds are brand new, no leaks
the egr pipe is brand new - no leaks
catback brand new no leaks

Im wondering if its possible a blown/clogged/melted cat would do this?
I banged on the cats and dont hear rattling so I dont think they are blown but they could be clogged?

If the cats were clogged it would barely run and you would have close to zero power.

If the cats were clogged it would barely run and you would have close to zero power.

yeah I was just thinking that.... maybe there is a leak in the cat itself behind the cat shield that I cant see

A hairline crack in an exhaust manifold can be hard to see. A good way to check is to seafoam the engine and when you start it up afterwords and it's fogging you can see anything that escapes.

Good idea on the seafoam, I have some left, I'll do it today or tomorrow

as for the headers being cracked, I highly doubt it, I have a bill from the previous owner who put in both brand new manifolds earlier this year. I looked up the part number and it comes up with doorman (I believe the name was) headers and I can see they are brand new so, again I highly doubt they are cracked, but if they are I would snap

Good idea on the seafoam, I have some left, I'll do it today or tomorrow

as for the headers being cracked, I highly doubt it, I have a bill from the previous owner who put in both brand new manifolds earlier this year. I looked up the part number and it comes up with doorman (I believe the name was) headers and I can see they are brand new so, again I highly doubt they are cracked, but if they are I would snap

Could be a leaky gasket then. I've got brand new manifolds too (installed in July of this year). They're made by Torque Monster. ;)

I've got a few leaks and lots of tick, tick, tick too. Check all your bolts to make sure they're tight. Even then, the gasket may not be doing its job. I'm going to be tackling the issue soon myself.

I just seeafoamed the truck, tons of smoke came out but nothing from under the truck where the cats are and nothing from the manifolds. The gaskets dont look like they are leaking, zero black marks anywhere around the gasket but its a possiblilty, probably still possible its one of the cats but Im not sure

at this point right now Im thinking either cat or loose spark plug, although the truck runs really smooth other than when I first start it in the day it idles a tiny big up and down till it warms up which Im guessing might be the IAC but that should be unrelated to the ticking

I can't find any obvious leaks either but my truck has been moody ever since I got the headers put on and the ticking seems to be getting worse. I've tried everything from a brand new MAF to new plugs and wires and still nothing. An exhaust guy I deal with figures definitely a gasket issue despite no obvious external symptoms.

Ok so, i have this clicky clacky noise from my 98 V8 explorer, it's had the noise since i bought it in June, i put new plugs and wires in, cause it desperately needed them, and just had the exhaust leak fixed today, runs very well, the power is there, no engine lights, and the clacking noise is still there. The clacking noise only starts about when the truck reaches running temp, or maybe slightly before running temp. I'm confused, cause the noise does seem to effect anything. Any ideas anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back