1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 45 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just finished tying all the trans wiring down and got the trans crossmember all bolted in. Need to get the exhaust bolted up and driveshaft installed and I think I'm done on the underside.

Yesterday I finished torquing the motor mount bolts. Installed the driveshaft. Put on the accessory brackets. Need to finish bolting up the exhaust and I should be done with the laying on the ground part.
New plug wires arrived yesterday. They look like nice pieces.
I assume the long wires with the heat shields go to the rear plugs. But if anyone can post a picture or give me placement advice for the plug wires with the cast manifolds I'd appreciate it.

Getting closer. I need my parking space back asap!

Did a tiny amount today. Put the water pump pulley on. The belt tensioner. Honestly If I can devote a whole day to the EX I could get it done. Hopefully I can pop the hood back on tomorrow. I'll keep pressing forward to make the parts pile smaller.

I start with the longest wire and work to the shortest

This diagram shows which is longest really

I read you post “i put the water pump pulley on the belt tensioner “ that made me chuckle

IMG_1334.jpeg

8 is the longest followed by 7 then 4 then 3 the way I route them

I start with the longest wire and work to the shortest

This diagram shows which is longest really

I read you post “i put the water pump pulley on the belt tensioner “ that made me chuckle

View attachment 452546

8 is the longest followed by 7 then 4 then 3 the way I route them
That's pretty funny! I mean, I'm willing to try it ;)
Thanks for the diagram!

Good grief, I just realized that RockAuto sent me 7 spark plug wires! Hahahaha! No wonder they are cheap..

Motorcraft for cast manifolds currently are $81. However they had Standard Motor Pro series on close out for $19. So I went for that. About $30 shipped.
So I'll have a nice set of Motorcraft Tubular manifold wires sitting around.
I just bought a pair of the same clearance standard motor pro series ones. They are the same as the stock OEM ones. They just did not come with as many heat shields. But had the 3 main ones. With shipping even was only like $38 sweet deal for sure.

Good grief, I just realized that RockAuto sent me 7 spark plug wires! Hahahaha! No wonder they are cheap..
Mine showed up with 8 I think… now imma go count. I only needed one wire from them for now and have the rest as back ups.

Was it one of the short ones missing ? I can send you one of my extras. I shouldn’t be burning those up hopefully.

Mine showed up with 8 I think… now imma go count. I only needed one wire from them for now and have the rest as back ups.

Was it one of the short ones missing ? I can send you one of my extras. I shouldn’t be burning those up hopefully.
I think it was a long one. I can steal one from the other set. Arguing with Rockauto nowdays is almost pointless. So I'll just work it out.

Today I got the plug wires all installed. I used all the old heat shields from the plug wires on the new motor. That was all the plug ends have the metal shields. I figure the extra heat shields won't hurt. I Installed the fuel rail and got the wiring harness laid out. Maybe I can wrap this up tomorrow. We shall see.

Took a break. Need to get some supplies from the parts store. Fixed some crappy wiring. Had to swap the cam synchro. Need to wrap the wiring I undid then I can install the upper intake. Then the AC compressor and belt, and radiator/condenser. Getting closer.

I'm at the point in this project where it has been apart so long that I'm looking for nonexistant tasks that don't actually need to be completed. Time killer.

Alright. Looong day today. Was able to finish a great deal and get the first start in! Very happy so far. Filled with coolant, oil, and so far 12 quarts of trans fluid. Haven't seen any leaks. But i'm going to let it sit overnight. Engine started right up. No hesitation at all. Sounds strong. Now I need to check all my details, recheck everything, and eventually charge the AC. Good day today. Tomorrow is another day. Big Thumbs up!

Went out this morning and tried to start the EX up. Wouldn't start! What did I do wrong? What could have happened? It was so good last night.... check and double check.. Oh... it's out of gas... good grief. Had a long work day today. Didn't get much time today. I added gas. Started up. Then found my cheap autozone oil pressure guage decided it wants to be at the highest setting all the time. So that is fun. the ABS light is on. Did not do any brake work. I did unplug the ABS pump when I pulled the wiring harness. I did plug it back in. So that will need some attention. Oil level is perfect. I ran it enough to finish filling the transmission. It took 15 quarts from dry to top it up correctly. I have to tighten all the exhaust bolts. Also 2.5 years ago I replaced the water neck. It's an after market piece that has a threaded hole on top to either plug or use for a temp guage. After 20 minutes of idling the temp gauge is happy at 195. So that is good. Well I installed the temp gauge in July when all the trouble started. The fitting leaked then. So this time I put a crapload of teflon tape on the threads. More than in July. Guess what... it still leaks. So I think I will have to replace the water neck. Or goop up the threads even more.
Transmission engagement into Drive and reverse is good. Haven't been able to drive yet.

So I have several things to sort out still. And right now my business has gotten really busy. So I need to squeeze this stuff in anywhere I can. I really need the EX out of my yard and back on the road. I can't wait to drive it. The engine seems strong. NO fluid leaks. No coolant, ATF or oil. :)

I could write more, But it has been a long day and I'm pretty tired. Nonetheless this phase of the project will be done soon and it will be a daily driver again. I will need to find a new tailgate since someone tried to break it open in the last 9 months. If any of you west coast guys see a grey tail gate at the yards soon, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and for all the help so far these last 3 years. The EX will live on!

Out of gas??? Good grief!!! The abs light will probably clear itself once you drive a bit

Try permatex red on the threads of that fitting or just tighten it waaaaaay up

Keep it up! I know the feeling of getting close with a project…and then that first drive
I often say it’s just like waiting in line at the biggest roller coaster and now your turn is up

Out of gas??? Good grief!!! The abs light will probably clear itself once you drive a bit

Try permatex red on the threads of that fitting or just tighten it waaaaaay up

Keep it up! I know the feeling of getting close with a project…and then that first drive
I often say it’s just like waiting in line at the biggest roller coaster and now your turn is up
It will get there! First drive will be fun. Soon for sure. The silicone is probably a good idea.

Ok, I cranked down the temp sensor fitting and the leak seems to have stopped. But now the gauge seems to have stopped working!! hahahahahah! I tightened down the exhaust and all seems quiet. Had to spin the oil filter on another half turn. When my cheap Autozone oil pressure gauge WAS working it was reading about 50psi at startup, then moved down to 25 psi. Then it decided to be permanently fixed at 140psi. Then today I found another oil pressure gauge in my tool box that has been in there for 30 plus years since I was in high school. I hooked that one up and it reads 75 psi at startup and settled down at 50 psi after warm up... sigh. But hey, at least it's not 2psi like the old engine. For anyone who might remember, when the previous motor went bad one day the oil pressure gauge in the cluster started oscilliating rapidly from high to low until the actual gauge went counter clockwise and got stuck on the little pin. All I'm hoping for is some kind of reading from one of these gauges.... guess we will see how it shakes out! I put a new fuel pump in the EX back in 2021. It suddenly has started sounding like I'm stepping on a toad when I key the car on. It has a lifetime warranty so I'm gonna swap it out. Fun... AND the starter started not being cool... the bendix isn't cooperating 100% of the time. Sooooo.... you know....

But the engine still seems strong when running and the trans feels ready to go. So can't wait for the first drive. Once I sort out all these details, I'll charge the AC system. Call me superstitious but I won't shoot R134a in there until I know everything else is good to go.
I didn't get too much time with it today. I spent most of the day working on a 1973 F100 that had antifreeze in the trans fluid.... Good times!

The water temp sender (cts) on a 5.0 gets its ground through the intake, all of the one wire ones do. It may have stopped getting a ground due to the tape on threads. You can add a ground wire to the other pin (fun fun)
You can run a ground to the body if the sensor just for testing see if the gauge comes back

The water temp sender (cts) on a 5.0 gets its ground through the intake, all of the one wire ones do. It may have stopped getting a ground due to the tape on threads. You can add a ground wire to the other pin (fun fun)
You can run a ground to the body if the sensor just for testing see if the gauge comes back
Sorry, I'm talking about the aftermarket gauge that has the probe in the thermostat housing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, took the first drive tonight. Oil pressure is right where we want it. Coolant temps right where we want it. Transmission is silky smooth. 4 gears up, 4 gears down. The driveshaft with new U joints and a balance is silky smooth. A joy to drive. I'm going to re torque the exhaust manifold bolts. I think there is a tiny exhaust leak on the right side cylinder bank. Only concern right now is that is definitely has spark knock off idle upon acceleration. Definitely requires feathering the throttle. The air filter was new when I put it on the road in Feb 2022. I'll clean the MAF tomorrow. I cleaned and gapped the plugs from the previous engine since they didn't have too many miles on them before I dropped the engine in.
Other than that, the "new" engine is a 1999, the old engine is a 1998. I need to check fuel pressure at the rail. I'm going to replace the fuel filter. I mentioned the other day that the fuel pump doesn't sound quite right. I can warranty the fuel pump out for free. Possibly the spark knock is lean fuel delivery.

The ABS light went out during the drive just like 410Fortune suggested, so that is good. A few more things and some double checking and the EX can hit the road again.

Back