1998 explorer shifting issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 explorer shifting issue

scip

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all, I just purchased my second explorer and this one has a problem that im not sure what to do with. Its a 1998 Explorer sport with a manual tranny 4.0L. After the purchase I went to look it over and start it.
It hasnt ran for a month and the lady selling it said it had a shifting issue. It started without problems and did not smoke either. She told me she could not get it into any gear so she gave up on it and got a newer one. I pushed in the clutch and it slipped right into 1st gear. I then realized the E brake was engaged so immediately thought Wow I just paid 500 bucks for a truck that she didnt realize to disengage the E brake. After Remove the E brake the truck pulled right out and ran great. I drove it around the parking lot up to 2nd gear and no issues. I took it out on the road and got up to 4th gear 3 blocks away and lost clutch. The clutch peddle went to the floor with no resistance. I could not get it to shift, I popped the hood and notice the reservoir was empty. I filled it back up and still nothing. However I noticed there was a burning smoke coming up from below and it smelled of burning brake fluid. I crawled under the truck and found no sign of a leak or burn off. My first thought is slave cylinder. I need confirmation im on the right track. TY.

Back