• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Theft light

Coby

Reaction score
City, State
The Colony, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
i am hoping someone can help. I have a 1998 Explorer V6 SOHC. About 2 weeks ago, my truck lost all power and the theft light came on. I found on the Internet, that by tilting the steering wheel up and down it might restore power, and it did. yesterday when I tried to start it, it lost all power and the theft light came on again. Tried tilting the steering wheel but still no power.
I tried to jump it with a friends car. It would turn over but not enough power to start. I put a charger on the battery and it started with no problem in 2 seconds. I got to my destination and when I turned the truck off, I lost all power again. The battery is only a year old and the truck only has 68000 miles on it. Any advice or ideas how to fix it is welcome. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place for help.

1, clean the battery terminals even if they "look" ok.
2, have your alternator checked. ( do you see a "check engine" or" check gage" light while the engine is running?)
3, Have the battery checked thoroughly by the dealer who you purchased it from. even if it is only a year old it could still be bad.
4,check fuse number 14 (mini 30 amp) in the power distribution box under the hood
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...eration-power-distribution-box-layout.180814/

5 Be sure to post your findings.

Follow Turdle's suggestions. "What do you mean by "the theft light is on?" How is it on? Normally it should blink about every 2 seconds. If it's blinking faster it could be PATS issue, but from the symptoms you're reporting it souds like you have a charging system problem.

i cleaned terminals and cables. I put them back on and it started right up. No more theft light. Thank you for the help. I feel pretty dumb that it was just dirty cables.

It could be the guy before you put some sort of grease on the terminals, which is often done to prevent corrosion.

However, I have found it is a big no no. The starter circuit needs all the current it can get.

Glad you got it fixed. Don't feel bad, I know of at least one person that has fallen for this. :cool:

Back