• Register Today It's free!

1998 Fog light on switch???

FordJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
NYB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Okay, after a full hour of looking, trying different options, reading owners manual, and hunting thru posts, I give up. There is no obvious button anywhere near where the rotating headlight knob is. And pulling out does nothing. The lever on the steering column switches between high and low beams. {Which raises the question WTF would headlight switches be found in 3+ different locations? Insanity. Just put them all on the same column/location. I digress.}

How does a person turn on the fog lights in a 1998 Ford Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the radio bezel right side, there’s a button for them.

having them in one place doesn’t make a lot of sense. You need access to the high/low feature with your hands still on the wheel.

On my 98 Explorer there's no fog button anywhere on the radio bezel. Some other model years/styles might have it there, and IMO that is silly location for it. It should at least be near the light switch. I think later models have it beneath the dial knob, or as a pull-out on the dial knob.

If you have factory fog lights, they are on the bezel.

Attachments

• EAAEB9D7-09CD-4EB7-9D9A-68D03C75AF8E.png
    EAAEB9D7-09CD-4EB7-9D9A-68D03C75AF8E.png
    928.5 KB · Views: 92

Not on mine... so I'm very confused. Here's my vehicle. I just acquired it. Pristine condition with 200,000 miles for practically nothing in price. Front shows what I believe are fog lights. No button on bezel. No buttons anywhere.
img (12).jpg
img (3).jpg

You probably didn’t have factory fogs. Your bumper was probably damaged in an accident and swapped with a fog light equipped bumper.

that looks like an XLT bumper to me, but. Could be wrong. My sport was a first gen. Does it match the rear? Crawl under and see if those lights hook to anything.

You probably didn’t have factory fogs. Your bumper was probably damaged in an accident and swapped with a fog light equipped bumper.

that looks like an XLT bumper to me, but. Could be wrong. My sport was a first gen. Does it match the rear? Crawl under and see if those lights hook to anything.

Smart thinkin sir. It does not match the rear. I'll crawl under and inspect. Cheers.

That’s almost certainly your answer. However, if you pull the bezel there is almost surely the wiring you’d need for the switch, just like the 4wd wiring will be there. Just need a bezel from a 2wd/AWD car.

That's the same bumper as my 99 xlt

Back