• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

1998 ford explorer 5.0 rear catalytic converter question

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
No need to sit in the corner. It takes us all to make this work. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

shadowless127

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
No need to sit in the corner. It takes us all to make this work. :thumbsup:

You know what it was, I was looking up exhaust stuff for another vehicle, then flipped tabs over here aaaaaaaanddddd didnt switch vehicles :D

OneLever

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD
Where i live all these basterds are crooks.

It does sound like your "mechanic" was trying to swindle you. Which is why I asked for clarification. The catalytic converters are the most expensive exhaust component there is, and generally they last the life of the vehicle. Which is why I'm suspicious when somebody nonchalantly says, "Oh gee, looks like you need a new one. Should get a dealership part too."

I'll read how to swap the sensor and do it tonight. Thanks.

Since Turdle hasn't mentioned his own thread I'll go ahead and do it. These three threads may help you or other future readers:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

str8desifer

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 v8
It does sound like your "mechanic" was trying to swindle you. Which is why I asked for clarification. The catalytic converters are the most expensive exhaust component there is, and generally they last the life of the vehicle. Which is why I'm suspicious when somebody nonchalantly says, "Oh gee, looks like you need a new one. Should get a dealership part too."

Since Turdle hasn't mentioned his own thread I'll go ahead and do it. These three threads may help you or other future readers:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

my neighbors brother tested the sensors with a pro2 oxygen sensor tester thing, and said they are all good.

str8desifer

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 v8
I just wanted to thank everybody for your help. It was a leak.

OneLever

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mt. 5.0L AWD
Cool! What type of leak and where was it?

str8desifer

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 v8
I was told it was a puncture in the manifold.

snapp central

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C. (born & raised); Prince George - seasonally
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 limited &97 ""SOHC
Turdle,

Sorry to just jump in here (I've been reading this and following this whole page of threads).. but I've had the ticking on my driver's side - 5.0 97. sounded like was coming from exhaust manifold on driver's side.. thing is then clicking stopped and now car is rumbling or vibrating and leaking out of one of my cats (haven't looked under thoroughly enough yet and will do so).. what is your opinion.. I unfortunately don't have a obd 2 scan tool yet and will get one but I'm pretty positive I need to replace my driver's side exhaust manifold.. question is... could a clogged or blocked cat be a product of the manifold leaking... or is it bad too?.. what do you think.. I know there is a thread or many on this but I just thought to ask you since you brought it up and seem solid on it..
Thanks for your time,